Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #1 
cadi731

I have a dilemma...

So, we just got a new house. We're going to start moving in within the next two weeks. Unfortunately for my betta, Ciel, my bedroom is on the third floor of the house. Right now, he lives in a five gallon tank. I have a 2.5 gallon bowl that I plan on switching him over to until we get moved in and settled, but I don't know what to do about cleaning the five gallon. It's going to be a huge pain carrying the tank and glasses of water up and down two flights of SMALL stairs every couple weeks... Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #2 
Loralyn94

I would get like a two gallon bucket and just take part of the water out of the tank at a time, it would take a couple trips but would be less heavy. Also, do you have a bathroom on that floor? If so you could always just empty it in there still using the gallon bucket.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #3 
cadi731

Unfortunately, the only bathroom is on the first floor, along with the kitchen. Where do you think I could buy a bucket? Would they have them at Walmart somewhere?

I was also considering switching to sand. How would I clean it when I do partial changes and 100% changes? It seems like it would be a huge pain...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #4 
Loralyn94

You can get 2 gallon buckets from walmart, mine came from there. Also places like lowes or home depo or like auto parts stores would have them.

As for sand, I know that if you use a gravel vac it would be fine, just let it hoover right at the top of the sand and get all the crud up but dont let it suck up the sand. For a ull water change, I'm not sure how you'd clean it... In theory I'd think you could do like a 95% water change were you get everything thats on top of the sand(with sand all the crud sits on top of it) and empty almost all the water out, just leaving the sand in the tank and how ever much water is in it.

If someone else comes along though with any better ideas or wants to say this wouldnt work, please feel free. I've never dealt with sand, just going off what seems logical to me.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #5 
cadi731

So sand would actually be easier than gravel? Right now, he has gravel, pebbles, and marbles. I've been wanting sand and possibly live plants, anyway...
Old 09-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 
Loralyn94

it depends how you look at it... Sand is messy if you ever try to clean the whole tank and can get sucked up in a gravel vac easy, but if your carefull there shouldnt be a problem :)
Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #7 
cadi731

I don't think I'd ever really have to clean the WHOLE tank unless I was going somewhere...
I'm still going to switch him over to his old bowl, but I think I'll keep him in it until I get some sand. Do you know if sand would be lighter than all the gravel, marbles, and pebbles he has right now?
Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #8 
Sowman

I have a similar situation and I do the bucket thing. I prep the water the night before the water change so that the temp is close to the temp in the tank. I use a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket but make use it is cleaned properly. Some buckets are lined with some coating so that they don't get stuck to each other when stacked.
Sowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #9 
Loralyn94

I'm not sure, Id think sand would be about as heavy as the gravel and what not, sand packs together and holds water which makes it heavy... I dont see either being to much lighter.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #10 
Sweeda88

Why can't you move his tank to the first floor? I would think that would be the obvious choice.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote