Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #1 
alysalouise

"The black bag of death"

So i was in my petco today. Went in to get a few ghost shrimp for some betta buddies, and depending on how much they were, possibly a female CT too
Well i got 4 ghost shrimp picked out a Female CT, then sat there and looked at the rest of the bettas, found 4 sick
So i talked to one of the employes (they all know and like me)
And asked what they do with the sick ones, and told her that they should pull a few off the shelves cause they arent doing so well
She said they usually go into "the black bag of death" as she calls it and into the freezer
so i asked if i were to want them would i have to pay full price? Her answer was that she would just give them to me, she told me to go grab the ones i saw that werent doing so good, and she looked at them, and this one female who wasnt doing so good at all she did a salt water dip on, and while helping a few other people that female passed, but she bagged up the other 3 for me
2 of them look like they are bloated, 1 being bloated with clampped fins, and the last one looks deformed?

I'll upload picts in a second, i have to resize them first
But their all in epson salt water (2 teaspoons per gallon)
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #2 
Leeniex

The freezer? They should know better than that. Can't they euthanize more humanely?

I'm glad you were able to take some home to give them a chance.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

Good for you! I wish I could just get Bettas whenever I wanted all willy nilly.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #4 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
The freezer? They should know better than that. Can't they euthanize more humanely?

I'm glad you were able to take some home to give them a chance.

Im thinking they put them in after they die, cause the one female that died there she made sure was dead and then stuck her into the bag
Im glad i was able to take them home too, hoefully they get better and live a nice long happy life
As soon as my guppies babies all grow up i will pick up more stuff to make tank dividers and divide up my 20 gallon, and soon after that my 29 gallon, until then they sadly have to live in 1 gallon- 2 1/2 gallon tanks, but i do 100% water changes every other day

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Good for you! I wish I could just get Bettas whenever I wanted all willy nilly.
Wasnt planning on it lol, and luckily i had 3 extra small tanks, But its more work on my part

I'll upload pictures here soon, my computer isnt getting along with me at the moment to let me download the pictures onto the computer to start with sorry guys
Old 09-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Black bag of death....that sounds so horrible D: I certainly hope they put then in there AFTER they die, and not just to euthanize the sick ones that they are too lazy to take care of 8/
Thank goodness you were able to take those three home! I bet with some clean water and TLC they'll heal up nicely....its so amazing, the difference just basic clean, warm water can make.
Look forward to seeing some pics!! :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #6 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Black bag of death....that sounds so horrible D: I certainly hope they put then in there AFTER they die, and not just to euthanize the sick ones that they are too lazy to take care of 8/
Thank goodness you were able to take those three home! I bet with some clean water and TLC they'll heal up nicely....its so amazing, the difference just basic clean, warm water can make.
Look forward to seeing some pics!! :)

They actually keep there water very clean for the bettas, the last few times i'v been in this last week and looked at them, there wasnt anything growing in the water and it was crystle clear

But she told me, their not actually allowed to medicate them if they are sick :/
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Well thats good that they at least seem to keep the water clean then! xD
Thats sad though, that they're not aloud to medicate :/ I mean, really....when I worked at an LFS, one of the jobs on our list as to go around all of our 200 some tanks, medicate the ones that were sick, and look for any other sick or dead fish, and same with going through all the betta cups.

I suppose if they have the money to just not care and keep buying more stock then it doesn't matter to them...but still...thats incredibly sad. If I worked there, I'd probably end up getting fired for breaking that rule ^^;
Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #8 
alysalouise

Here they are

The Pale Red CT: Clampped fins and has a hard time staying upright too
The Lavender VT: Just look at his body, is all arched andhe is very skinny
The Red VT: He will try to keep his body upright, then end up back on his side

These pictures show their actual colors
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 06:32 PM   #9 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Well thats good that they at least seem to keep the water clean then! xD
Thats sad though, that they're not aloud to medicate :/ I mean, really....when I worked at an LFS, one of the jobs on our list as to go around all of our 200 some tanks, medicate the ones that were sick, and look for any other sick or dead fish, and same with going through all the betta cups.

I suppose if they have the money to just not care and keep buying more stock then it doesn't matter to them...but still...thats incredibly sad. If I worked there, I'd probably end up getting fired for breaking that rule ^^;

Lol me too, i cant stand seeing them sick and dying like this :/ poor things
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #10 
DragonFish

I know what you mean. :/ Its just so sad, the conditions Bettas are kept in....one day hopefully things will change...

Aww, those poor little guys D: Thank goodness you were able to bring them home....they look so emaciated...they may have internal parasites...