Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #11 
cadi731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Why can't you move his tank to the first floor? I would think that would be the obvious choice.
My mom doesn't want him down there, and there's nowhere for him down there anyway. He has to be in my room with me. Besides, I wouldn't mind bringing a bucket up and down the steps every other week. And if for some reason, I can't, his filter does a pretty good job and keeping the water clear and ammonia-free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralyn94 View Post
I'm not sure, Id think sand would be about as heavy as the gravel and what not, sand packs together and holds water which makes it heavy... I dont see either being to much lighter.
Oh, boo. :( Oh well. I still want sand more. Preferably black sand. Do you or anyone else know where I could get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowman View Post
I have a similar situation and I do the bucket thing. I prep the water the night before the water change so that the temp is close to the temp in the tank. I use a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket but make use it is cleaned properly. Some buckets are lined with some coating so that they don't get stuck to each other when stacked.
Awesome. I'll have to remember to do that. xD;
cadi731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #12 
Loralyn94

The bucket i got from walmart didnt have any weird coating, just a cheap plastic one (and green lol). As for were to get sand, if your wanting black you could check pet or fish stores or places like hobby lobby or michaels craft and see if they have any large bags of sand. My friend did that for her axolotls.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

You need water changes, please don't rely on your filter to do the job all the time. Filters don't pick up all the poop and such lol In a 5g cycled you would only need to do 1.25g water change once a week. Take out 1.5g, add 1.5g in. Not too hard nor heavy. Dollar stores have 2.5g mop buckets that are $1ish. I lug around 18g of water on Saturdays when I do my tanks, its a pain but they are so happy when its done.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #14 
cadi731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You need water changes, please don't rely on your filter to do the job all the time. Filters don't pick up all the poop and such lol In a 5g cycled you would only need to do 1.25g water change once a week. Take out 1.5g, add 1.5g in. Not too hard nor heavy. Dollar stores have 2.5g mop buckets that are $1ish. I lug around 18g of water on Saturdays when I do my tanks, its a pain but they are so happy when its done.
I don't, don't worry. I do water changes every other week, as of now. When we move, I'll get sand and a vacuum to make cleaning it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralyn94 View Post
The bucket i got from walmart didnt have any weird coating, just a cheap plastic one (and green lol). As for were to get sand, if your wanting black you could check pet or fish stores or places like hobby lobby or michaels craft and see if they have any large bags of sand. My friend did that for her axolotls.
Thanks a lot. :3 I'll have to look into it and see if ours has any.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

You can get sand at most petstores, I see other members on here with it in black. Sorry, you previous post made it sound like you'd skip water changes all together LOL Scared me for a minute.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #16 
cadi731

Nah, I'd never do that. xD But sometimes they're a little hard to keep up with if I'm feeling sick the day I plan to do it, or if I'm too busy, or if his bowl (that I stick him in for changes) is dirty, etc. So I'm glad the filter works so well. :3