Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 
Miyazawa

am i just worrying too much?

I just got a new double tail half moon...but when they sleep....is the tail supposed to be a little bit tilted? not their body though,just the tail...i never had a big tail betta before so im not sure.
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Yes, thats normal for the guys who have bigger fins....when they're resting, their fins can flop over a little bit. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #3 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Yes, thats normal for the guys who have bigger fins....when they're resting, their fins can flop over a little bit. ;)
omg good...because i thought it was SBD......but im still a bit worried....he's not as active as my last fish though
Old 09-18-2011, 10:07 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Oh yes, thats quite normal...when hes resting, or even just casually swimming, if he has large floppy fins they'll fold over a little sometimes.
SBD is more when they're whole body tilts to the side and he has trouble righting himself, usually stuck floating at the top with a bloated belly as well.

Every fish is an individual...some are a little less active then others. I personally find the guys with the larger fins tend to be a little more chill....after all, its hard work hauling around those huge fins all day!
Hes probably also getting used to his new home....he very well might perk up in a few days as well ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #5 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Oh yes, thats quite normal...when hes resting, or even just casually swimming, if he has large floppy fins they'll fold over a little sometimes.
SBD is more when they're whole body tilts to the side and he has trouble righting himself, usually stuck floating at the top with a bloated belly as well.

Every fish is an individual...some are a little less active then others. I personally find the guys with the larger fins tend to be a little more chill....after all, its hard work hauling around those huge fins all day!
Hes probably also getting used to his new home....he very well might perk up in a few days as well ;)
cool! thanks for all the infos. I will keep my eyes on him for sure for the next few days since his fins are a little bit torn.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #6 
Banicks

Have a look at the pictures of my halfmoon Victor in my signature.

There are some close ups of him on page 2 or 3, and just general of him swimming unflared. You'll be able to see that his top fin practically doubles over him like a blanket.

Nothing to be worried about :)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #7 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Have a look at the pictures of my halfmoon Victor in my signature.

There are some close ups of him on page 2 or 3, and just general of him swimming unflared. You'll be able to see that his top fin practically doubles over him like a blanket.

Nothing to be worried about :)
thanks! he just doesn't seem to be too active....always at the bottom, sometimes in the middle of the tank with the head down, looking like he's diving. Do you think i should add some bettafix for his ripped fin? i don't think he has rot fin but.....well idk i will just keep my eyes on him for the next couple days
Old 09-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #8 
Banicks

Do not use Bettafix, or any ****fix.

Whilst they are products supposedly helpful to tropical fish, none of them have been made with the labrynth organ unique to Betta fish, and that includes Bettafix. I would stay away from it.

I would probably want some more information to accurately diagnose him - we don't want to go dosing him with anything if there is nothing wrong, or something amiss that is easily fixable.

Sorry if I've missed this information elsewhere, but:

1. How big of a tank is he in?
2. Are there decorations/live plants?
3. Do you have a heater? If so, what temperature is the tank at currently according to a seperate thermometer in the tank?
4. Have you used water conditioner on his tank water? If so, what conditioner did you use?
5. What are your levels? (ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)
6. Is he eating?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #9 
Miyazawa

1. How big of a tank is he in? 1 gallon
2. Are there decorations/live plants? Yes a castle and a silk plant
3. Do you have a heater? If so, what temperature is the tank at currently according to a seperate thermometer in the tank? Yes, 80
4. Have you used water conditioner on his tank water? If so, what conditioner did you use? Tetra bettasafe
5. What are your levels? (ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) only have ammonia kit 0
6. Is he eating? Well I dropped one in and he didn't eat it right away, I came back few minutes later but I didn't see it so...

I just got him from petco, so Im not sure if he's just adjusting to his new home
Old 09-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #10 
Miyazawa

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=81278

you can see him in that thread....but his scales are way darker than yesterday...which im not so sure why...