Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Question Where do people get the idea of "ugly" female bettas?

Okay, I understand that females don't have the "pretty" long flowing fins, or that they are not super vibrant like healthy males are....

But I have not ever seen an ugly female. Sure, my four youngsters have little to no color, but they are not ugly and they are just young. Rose is going red/pink on her fins, with a white body (ooo ahhh), Marge is going dark blue for fins, her sister Tina is getting medium blue/purple fins, and Zebra has almost clear fins with a hint of gold tinge (heh?) o_O And I think when they are older they will be mighty pretty!!!

so.... where do people get the idea the females are ugly and not worth anyone's time to own? Is it because of how they look when they are in stores (young, stripes, brownish/yellowish/blahish)?

(sure worth MY time seeing them transform....)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

I have seen some grown females that don't look exactly glamorous... I like to think of them as viking women... Idk.

If I could have more than 2 fish I totally would have a female. I almost got a female when I bought my most recent boy, but I worry about her having problems with eggs and such, especially living next to a male. Plus the female I wanted was more spookish than the male I ended up getting. So I look for personality more than color. :)
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

hmmm okay :) yeah but I will note 5/40 males here in one store won't be sold. 9/10 females won't be sold. People claim it is because the females are "ugly" but... I got an ebony female with metallic blue/green on here o.o and the young females deemed to die in a stink hole of cup water are showing colors.

I will admit I am always worried about the "eggs" problem... because some, like any egg layer, or even a livebearer, can have difficulties :(

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 09-19-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Most people don't even know you can buy bettas, others see females as plain. I mean if you're going to have 1 fish in a tank, usually people want something flashy and a conversation starter. This is average everyday people, not members of this forum. We all love females in here. Myself, I'd rather a male in a tank, and females in a group. That's why I don't have any yet. Getting my first of 4 girls tomorrow.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #5 
Sarahlydear

I love my little girl and think she is the cutest thing! :)
But I have seen some rather ugly girls...They just look bad, I want to buy them to create a heavily planted sorority but I don't expect people to Ohh and Ahh over them.
Some females are definitely just as pretty as males though, like my little Rosie. :)
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

Lol! Viking woman is a good way to put it.. The Rise of the Valkyries immediately came to mind XD
And they may not have fins but some can have colours as pretty as any male and they look amazing together when they're not nipping each others fins off lol!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #7 
missm83

i think the females are all beautiful.. when i got my 1st male i didnt even know what was the dif between male or female (yes i was clueless)but my petsmart had no females..not sure why...
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Here, the only females in the petsmart in the city has, are older females because they have pretty colors lol. I have seen some... odd female bettas who yeah look like a viking xD but... I have met many people who say "all female bettas have no color" did they get that from the wild bettas? o.o
Old 09-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #9 
Kytkattin

Well trust me, I actually liked how she looked better than the male I got. She was almost rainbow. I almost regret not getting her, but I only had room for one more.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Oh my goodness that would have been cool. But all well I guess hey? hopefully she found someone good for her :) liek your male did