Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #2491 
shrazybunny

I guess I didn't type that clear enough. My betta's in a 1.8 gallon right now (he's a bit small right now (around 1 inch), but I think he'll grow), and I feel sorta bad about it. I have a spare 5 gallon, and I want to put him in that. If it doesn't have a filter (my mom won't let me have one since it makes a buzzing noise), how often would I have to perform water changes?
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #2492 
JKfish

If the plants in there are not plants that can be removed for the occasional 100% water change, then just 50% water changes once a week and maybe a 90% water change every two or three weeks. If they can be removed, then 50% water changes once a week and 100% water changes every two to three weeks.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #2493 
McMarvel

My betta looks like he might die. Should I buy a new one now or wait until the other one passes away? Also, How do I clean the old tank and how long do I wait before putting the new one in in order to prevent him from getting the same sickness?
McMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #2494 
Neil D

WWAIT! Did you try to treat him?

It could be very simple! Please post a thread and then post the link here.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #2495 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMarvel View Post
My betta looks like he might die. Should I buy a new one now or wait until the other one passes away?

Seriously?
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #2496 
JKfish

McMarvel, believe it or not, most bettas can be saved with a little hard work. Post a thread in the Disease and Emergency subforum, and be sure to answer all the question from here
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #2497 
shrazybunny

Is it normal for my betta to randomly flare? I was checking in on him, and he just started flaring... Is it just one of his tricks to get food? It is his fasting day...

Also, what are some good ways to prevent constipation? I know there's fasting, what else is there? He seems to get constipated easily...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #2498 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrazybunny View Post
Is it normal for my betta to randomly flare? I was checking in on him, and he just started flaring... Is it just one of his tricks to get food? It is his fasting day...

Also, what are some good ways to prevent constipation? I know there's fasting, what else is there? He seems to get constipated easily...
Mine flare randomly all the time.

What are you feeding him? And how much?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #2499 
shrazybunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
What are you feeding him? And how much?
I feed him Topfin Betta Bits and San Francisco Bay bloodworms. He gets two pellets in the mornings and 3 worms or pellets (I rotate every other day) in the afternoons. I fast him one day a week also. And when he actually poops, its always these big ... pieces. He's been doing this since I got him almost 3 weeks ago. Also, if this is important, he lives in a 1.8 gallon and gets 100% water changes 2 times a week, which is when I find his big pieces of poo...
Old 09-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #2500 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrazybunny View Post
I feed him Topfin Betta Bits and San Francisco Bay bloodworms. He gets two pellets in the mornings and 3 worms or pellets (I rotate every other day) in the afternoons. I fast him one day a week also. And when he actually poops, its always these big ... pieces. He's been doing this since I got him almost 3 weeks ago. Also, if this is important, he lives in a 1.8 gallon and gets 100% water changes 2 times a week, which is when I find his big pieces of poo...

Those bloodworms are freeze dried, right? I would stop giving him those. If you can, buy him some frozen bloodworms and give them as a treat once or twice a week.