Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #1 
charlotte

Is it true that males slam into females to get the eggs out?

I'm guessing it's not, or at least hoping. Apparently an employee at Petco or Petsmart told my mom not to breed bettas because in order to do it the male slams into the female until the eggs come out and continue until she dies. Is any of that true?
charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #2 
caitic10

Ive never heard of that...

After the eggs are fertilized the female will float on her side to the waters surface. The eggs will come out of her as she floats. The male will collect the falling eggs and add them to the nest. After a few minutes the female will be swimming around fine.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #3 
Bambi

The male "hugs" the eggs out. o.O You can find videos all over youtube. The female will float for a second and look dead but will come back and usually help put the eggs in the nest.

They wil hug a few times to get all the eggs out then the male will chase the female away and guard the nest. You remove the female at this pont to reduce fighting and stress and the male will watch the eggs.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #4 
Banicks

Where on Earth do these employees get their information from.

Do they make bets with other employees to tell the most fictionally stupid information as possible, and see who wins by making a customer believe it?
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #5 
JAB91

He wraps around her in order to fertilize the eggs as best as possible.
JAB91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #6 
trilobite

Haha wow...Thats a new one
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Wow...that the first time I have heard that one......

He approaches her under the nest and rolls her over on her back and they wrap/embrace(the eggs are not squeezed out) to approximate their vents-she releases eggs as he releases milt-they both go into a trance like state-she floats limp toward the surface and he toward the bottom in a "C" shape-he wakes up first and starts to retrieve the eggs-then she wakes and often will assist in gathering the eggs-she will either eat the eggs-but a good female will collect and spit them toward the nest and some will even place eggs in the nest....... and the process repeats sometimes for hours.....awesome sight to watch.....surprisingly gentle and not violent at all-nothing like the pre-spawn behavior.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow! I never heard that one, either.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 AM   #9 
Mohan85

that is completely ridiculous, the ppl at that petco obviously know nothing about bettas. If you wanna see how its done take a look at one of the videos in my signature of either senshi or xena and THAT is how is done.. wrapping and hugging.. there is no "slamming" going on... and there is definately no death for the female afterwards.. what in the world....
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #10 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banicks View Post
Where on Earth do these employees get their information from.

Do they make bets with other employees to tell the most fictionally stupid information as possible, and see who wins by making a customer believe it?
people at petco are very mis-imformed .. just yesterday i decided to go to a new petco (one that's out of my usual petco's) .. and the guy there .. told me "it's hard to spawn bettas .. they grow really slow .. the one's we have in the store are probably a year old" .. then the next sentence he said righat after that was "if you want to breed bettas .. it's real easy all you do is just get a 20g tank and put them together" .. at that point i was like OK thanks *walks away slowly* .. and then on top of that as i was turning to walk away .. he said .. "after they spawn the girl dies" ..

THEN .. to make matters worse .. there was this huge neon paper sign stuck to the goldfish tank .. and in HUGE black letters it said "PERFECT betta pals" as he was explaining to this group of other people that goldfish are really good to put in with bettas .. i was so stunned and speechless i walked away
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote