Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #1 
SwayLocks

Cool how big do cory cats get?

so im making a 10 gallon for one of my bettas and i dont want too many fish if i get a community tank. i was thinking maybe only some cory's but i dont want them to get too big.. if they get any bigger than my betta i really dont want that. so do that saying, do they stay true to the tank size in perportion or do they grow really big lol? i heard they can get 5 in
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Well, your safest bet is pygmy cories. You could probably about about 3-5 in there if you wait until you're cycled and keep up with your waterchanges. :)

Most cories, like albinos and bronze, get to 2-2.5 inches. I have bronze cories in my 14g with my small betta, and from head to tail they are the same length.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #3 
GreenTea

The biggest they can get is about 4.5 inches, and some are as small as 1 inch. Will your tank be filtered? Corys are bottom dwelling fish, and bettas are mostly mid to high level tank fish, so even if the cories were eventually bigger, they would be in separate tank areas and your betta would be used to them.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #4 
iloveengl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
[...] so even if the cories were eventually bigger, they would be in separate tank areas and your betta would be used to them.
True, but that doesn't negate the limited swim space that a 10g offers when corydoras should be kept in shoals.
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #5 
iloveengl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Well, your safest bet is pygmy cories. You could probably about about 3-5 in there if you wait until you're cycled and keep up with your waterchanges. :)
+1
iloveengl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #6 
Aquarianblue

I know Green Cory cats get 2.5 inches 3 inches being a big one. I have 2 living with one of my bettas, and they get along great.
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #7 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveengl View Post
True, but that doesn't negate the limited swim space that a 10g offers when corydoras should be kept in shoals.
Yeah I know that, it sounded like part of his concern was something like the betta would be stressed due to size or something, which is why I mentioned it.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #8 
tlyons01

I just wanted to add to the conversation here, as I have a group of 6 corys in a 42 gallon that used to house my betta as well. They all got along very well, indeed. I started with 4 corys and after a few days they would hide and I would never get to see them play... I added 2 more and that seemed to make them happier and now I see them all the time. The challenge that I had was feeding. Everytime I dropped them shrimp pellets or wafer pieces, my betta would also eat them. So he was eating his meal, and taking from them, and getting bloated at least a few days a week. I removed the betta since they started spawning and I found my betta eating the eggs. He shares a divided 10 gal now. My cories have been spawning every other day for almost 2 weeks. I think that they would be happier in a group and you will need to watch feeding times, I was never really sure that they were getting anything to eat before the betta was removed....
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #9 
SwayLocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
I just wanted to add to the conversation here, as I have a group of 6 corys in a 42 gallon that used to house my betta as well. They all got along very well, indeed. I started with 4 corys and after a few days they would hide and I would never get to see them play... I added 2 more and that seemed to make them happier and now I see them all the time. The challenge that I had was feeding. Everytime I dropped them shrimp pellets or wafer pieces, my betta would also eat them. So he was eating his meal, and taking from them, and getting bloated at least a few days a week. I removed the betta since they started spawning and I found my betta eating the eggs. He shares a divided 10 gal now. My cories have been spawning every other day for almost 2 weeks. I think that they would be happier in a group and you will need to watch feeding times, I was never really sure that they were getting anything to eat before the betta was removed....
^^^ thats exactly what im worrying about too! my betta is an absolute pig and tries to eat everything too
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #10 
bettafish15

What I did to solve the eating problem was, when hes dstracted by pellets i toss in the food for the cories :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote