Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM   #1 
TikPandora

Smile Hello!

My name is TikPandora, and I just joined the forum. I would like to introduce myself by asking a few questions.

I just got back from Wal-Mart with a beautiful white male betta. Usually I would not have bought a fish at Wally World...but the one here in Chadron actually takes good care of their fish. Because of how crazy and hyper he was... I decided to name him Excalibur.

Now, for a day or two now, I have had a 1 gallon tank set up for him. Yes, I know it isn't very large...but I have done as much as possible to make it as comfortable as possible for the fish. It has a free flowing plant and another plant for him to hide behind. The tank has a filter and a small micro heater is on it's way right now. (You know, the ones that heat the tank 5 degrees)

The water in my tank is only about 68 degrees right now, but I am doing my best to warm it up....and it will be pretty warm once that heater arrives.

To condition the tap water for the tank, I used Tetra Betta Safe water conditioner yesterday. I also purchased some Tank maintenance solution for it as well. I plan on doing small water changes every other day to make sure that his water will be nice.

He will be fed standard betta flakes, with the occasional bloodworm snack if I am able to afford them.

Right now, I am living in a dorm room and don't have a very big budget, so this is all I am able to provide him. The water might be cold right now, but I am confident that the heater will help.

So far he is rather active, moving around a lot and exploring the various areas of his new home. He is also very responsive to finger movement on the side of the tank.

I just want to know... this is my first time ever having a betta by myself, am I doing alright?
TikPandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #2 
Myates

Sounds like you are doing great =) And welcome to the forums!
If you can, get betta pellets, most will say they are a little more nutritious, having more protein. But it isn't a "need to have" item. It also gives them the variety that they enjoy. IE pellets, flakes, blood worms.
If you notice the filter a little strong (which I don't believe it is in a 1gal) you can check on this thread about baffling it. Baffle
I would recommend at least a 100% water change a week, possibly adding in a 50%. But not quite sure due to filter. All my 1gals don't have filters and I do both per week.
If the heater doesn't work out too well and you can get your money back, this one is pretty good for a small tank Mini heater

Otherwise I think you got everything needed and your betta will be a happy little guy =) A 1gal can be a comfy good home as long as you keep up with the water changes. Again, welcome and congrats and getting bit by the betta bug!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #3 
TikPandora

Next time I purchase food for him I think I will try the pellets after reading your response, they sound better. Also, thank you for all of the good advice. I will experiment with water changes and see which one works the best for the water...and of course the fish.

I hope to have many years of a happy betta.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #4 
Bresn

It sound like your betta have a sweet home!
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #5 
TikPandora

I am glad to hear that I am doing alright. All I want is to do as much as I can for him on my tight budget.

At first I was worried cause he stayed in one area of the tank, but then I realized that the bubbles were too strong. I turned them down and he now ventures all over.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #6 
TikPandora

I am sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to post an update. He is doing well and has been renamed Shiro.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 
Myates

Good to hear! Now we just need pics :D And cute name!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #8 
TikPandora

^_^
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags