Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Personally I think I would rather have half the eggs survive, then none at all. Even if just 3 or 4 survived, I'd be thrilled LOL
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #12 
cajunamy
Banned

It does vary spawn to spawn but I would go into it expecting 50+ to have to jar later down the line.

Half of the survival rate has to do with upkeep, of course, the other half has to do with genetics.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #13 
ksage505

Thank you all for the input! Its very helpful in deciding if I'd like to try breeding. I have everything I would need to try it, I'm just not sure what I would end up doing with all the babies if I ended up with a large amount. I could keep some and I know a few people who would take some. I've considered trying to sell some if everything went well.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #14 
Bambi

You can always adopt them out online, with the adopters usually willing to pay shipping cost. Or if they're local pick up.

You can keep numbers down by culling fry at a young age that have curved spines or missing fins(when they're really young i cull by feeding to larger fish). If you have quality parents, one or two of the babies may even be ok enough to sell for $5-$10

I know my local independent pet store will take any healthy bettas i have left over(trade for some fish food or something), as they don't have a supplier for bettas . Maybe you can look locally too.

If you want to start working on your own line, or breeding more then once as a hobby you can cull deformed ones early then undesirables later on(poor fins or unwanted coloring). This will leave you with only fish that you plan to breed to work on your line and such.

Culling older fish isn't necessary killing them, you can adopt them to non-breeding homes.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Yeah here the pet store is willing to take bettas :) it's a self run business store, though. Most chainstores won't take them but you could ask anyways.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #16 
ksage505

Thanks! I will keep researching and ask around at local pet stores. I think I would like to give it ago once I feel my fish are ready.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

There ya go :) and at least you know the fish have to be ready for the way you'll spawn them ^^