Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 AM   #1 
snoopy

Some questions in a 10 gallon tank

Yesterday I bought a 10 gallon tank, right now as you can see in the picture the tank is empty, Im waiting two days until the chlorine dissapear.

I would like to add some fish more, but I dont know how many and what species, for example, I dont like the platies and Corydorasso much, however, tetras I like it. Also, I would prefer to buy something eating algae, but a friend of mine told me that the shrimps could be eaten by my Betta, and yesterday I rode the snail poop a lot and that is not good for my fishes, is it?

And my last question, theses plants will be enough for my future tankmates?

snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 AM   #2 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
Yesterday I bought a 10 gallon tank, right now as you can see in the picture the tank is empty, Im waiting two days until the chlorine dissapear.

I would like to add some fish more, but I dont know how many and what species, for example, I dont like the platies and Corydorasso much, however, tetras I like it. Also, I would prefer to buy something eating algae, but a friend of mine told me that the shrimps could be eaten by my Betta, and yesterday I rode the snail poop a lot and that is not good for my fishes, is it?

And my last question, theses plants will be enough for my future tankmates?

Hi. I'm checking so see if you used a water conditioner. If you did, the chlorine is out; if you did not, there are other additions to the water that will not dissipate. You will still need a conditioner.

I see a filter intake and a thermometer; I don't actually see a heater, but there is some reflection. Is there one?

Are those live plants or plastic? I'm asking because it effects aquarium care.

Do you know about the aquarium cycle to establish good bacteria that change ammonia into nitrites and then nitrates? Betta are hardy enough that you can cycle the tank with them in it, but that's not true of a lot of the good betta companions, and it usually works best to add the betta last!

Bettas will eat small shrimp, amanos are big enough that they are safe. They are hard to get in stores, however.

Nerite snails are great algae eaters and don't get too large, plus they don't multiply in fresh water. Also hard to get in a fish store, however. Both are great with algae, though!

Kumi
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #3 
snoopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumi View Post
Hi. I'm checking so see if you used a water conditioner. If you did, the chlorine is out; if you did not, there are other additions to the water that will not dissipate. You will still need a conditioner.

I see a filter intake and a thermometer; I don't actually see a heater, but there is some reflection. Is there one?

Are those live plants or plastic? I'm asking because it effects aquarium care.

Do you know about the aquarium cycle to establish good bacteria that change ammonia into nitrites and then nitrates? Betta are hardy enough that you can cycle the tank with them in it, but that's not true of a lot of the good betta companions, and it usually works best to add the betta last!

Bettas will eat small shrimp, amanos are big enough that they are safe. They are hard to get in stores, however.

Nerite snails are great algae eaters and don't get too large, plus they don't multiply in fresh water. Also hard to get in a fish store, however. Both are great with algae, though!

Kumi
Ok, I though the conditioner it wasnt good, so I have poured the enough amount a few minutes ago.

Yes, i heard about that, but currently my betta fish lives in a 0.5gallon (2 liters) tank. I know, Im stupid, but in the shop, they told me that the betta could perfectly live in a glass of wine.

I have got a heater(not in the tank), but I live in a hot zone and winters are mild. At the moment the termometer reach 79F (26C).

This afternon I will look for those snails, but if I dont find, what other fish, snail would you recommend me? (and hoy many?)

Ops sorry, I forgot it. The plants, all of them are live.

Last edited by snoopy; 09-13-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #4 
kumi

Sounds like a good set up. Ramshorn snails are OK--don't reproduce as quickly or get as big as some others. For any other fish that are good with bettas, I think you should really do what is called a "fishless" cycle. If you go to the betta care section, you can read about it. The other fish that you can put in without doing that, such as zebra danios, are not good with bettas.

Kumi

Last edited by kumi; 09-13-2011 at 10:56 AM. Reason: "editing error"
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #5 
BettaMiah

You can not have an Algae eater. They are all to big for your tank.

You can have a small school of 6 Tetras. Most Betta fish do not bother them.

Most Betta fish leave shrimp alone, actually. And they have almost no bio load, and are awesome cleaners. You could get at least 10.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #6 
snoopy

Im here again! Finally I bought a Nerite Snail, I spent 4€ in him (around 5$, I tought it was cheaper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
You can not have an Algae eater. They are all to big for your tank.

You can have a small school of 6 Tetras. Most Betta fish do not bother them.

Most Betta fish leave shrimp alone, actually. And they have almost no bio load, and are awesome cleaners. You could get at least 10.
I think I didnt understand you well. You mean, I can buy 6 tetras and 10 Shrimp??? and what type of schrimp? because I know 2 types, ghost and cherry, particulary I like more the last one.

(In the shop there is no schrimp :()

Thanks for your answer guys!

Last edited by snoopy; 09-13-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #7 
thePWNISHER

6 tetras, 10 shrimp and a betta might be a bit cramped. I think it was more of an either/or statement. But in a 10g you can get a small school of a community fish that is mild tempered and maybe not 10 shrimp but 2 or 3 wouldn't strain your filtration system too much. just make sure you have a test kit to keep your levels down (ammonia, nitrites) Shrimp you can get 2-3 cherry or ghost shrimp, small chance to be eaten or a slightly larger shrimp of an Amano or Bamboo shrimp. The last 2 are too big to be eaten but being larger you would probably only have 1 with your proposed setup.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #8 
Silverfang

Despite what as mentioned, some bettas will treat shrimp as a snack, just a warning.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #9 
kumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
Im here again! Finally I bought a Nerite Snail, I spent 4 in him (around 5$, I tought it was cheaper).

Thanks for your answer guys!
How's the nerite doing? I love mine!

Kumi
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #10 
snoopy

He is fine although my shrimps not shared the same luck.. One of them was murdered by my betta.