Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #1 
Hikari

2 questions about the Elite 25W heater

First, I thought this heater was fully submersible, but it has a "maximum water line" below the temperature knob. It also says on the package not to submerge the heater past that line. If I can't completely submerge it, the bottom of the tank is freezing. I just ignored the water line now and submersed it all the way. Hopefully there won't be a problem.

Second, the heater only gets the tank to 78 degrees on the highest setting. It would be the perfect temperature if it weren't for the fluctuations around the tank. It's 78 close to the surface, and like 75 at the bottom! That would be too cold for my guy. So I was wondering if I should just go out and get the adjustable 50W and delay putting my fish in the new tank for another few days while I test it out. What do you think?
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #2 
Miyazawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
First, I thought this heater was fully submersible, but it has a "maximum water line" below the temperature knob. It also says on the package not to submerge the heater past that line. If I can't completely submerge it, the bottom of the tank is freezing. I just ignored the water line now and submersed it all the way. Hopefully there won't be a problem.

Second, the heater only gets the tank to 78 degrees on the highest setting. It would be the perfect temperature if it weren't for the fluctuations around the tank. It's 78 close to the surface, and like 75 at the bottom! That would be too cold for my guy. So I was wondering if I should just go out and get the adjustable 50W and delay putting my fish in the new tank for another few days while I test it out. What do you think?
well i think you misread it :P the line that you are talking about is the MINIMUM water line, it says that on the menu too so you are fine :D but for the other problem i recommend you to get another higher Watts heater. How many gallon is your tank? I use it for my 1 gallon and it is fine but i assum that it is not strong enough for your big tank :S
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #3 
Hikari

It actually has 2 lines, one is minimum, the other is maximum. I think it's fine to submerge all the way too since I've read most people do that.

I actually did go out an get a 50W since this heater just doesn't seem to be doing the job. The problem is that the 50W Elite has this thing that you're suppose to hang over the aquarium rim, and my tank has this plastic ledge all around so I don't know how that'll work.

Another thing I was thinking about is using my 10W with the 25W and adjusting the 25W, but I think the temperature would be too unpredictable and changing all the time since the 10W isn't adjustable.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #4 
Miyazawa

Quote:
It actually has 2 lines, one is minimum, the other is maximum. I think it's fine to submerge all the way too since I've read most people do that.

I actually did go out an get a 50W since this heater just doesn't seem to be doing the job. The problem is that the 50W Elite has this thing that you're suppose to hang over the aquarium rim, and my tank has this plastic ledge all around so I don't know how that'll work.

Another thing I was thinking about is using my 10W with the 25W and adjusting the 25W, but I think the temperature would be too unpredictable and changing all the time since the 10W isn't adjustable.
You can get the aqueon 50w the non plastic one. It's a bit more expensive but I heard it is very good
Old 09-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #5 
Hikari

I don't think they sell that one around here. I would have to get it online. But actually I think it might be ok now. I put the tank on top of a towel, and it seemed to add extra warmth to the bottom of the tank. It is now around 76 degrees at the bottom, and 78 in the middle and top parts. So I think I'll just stick with my 25W and bring the 50W back to the store. I actually would have to anyway since the thing you have to put over the rim doesn't fit in the hole in the back of my tank.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #6 
Miyazawa

Quote:
I don't think they sell that one around here. I would have to get it online. But actually I think it might be ok now. I put the tank on top of a towel, and it seemed to add extra warmth to the bottom of the tank. It is now around 76 degrees at the bottom, and 78 in the middle and top parts. So I think I'll just stick with my 25W and bring the 50W back to the store. I actually would have to anyway since the thing you have to put over the rim doesn't fit in the hole in the back of my tank.
Good! Sorry that I wasn't much help
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 
Hikari

Actually you did help me out, now I know about that heater you mentioned in case this one breaks down. Thanks!