Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #21 
Indyfishy

I don't think there's been any mention of using bettafix or melafix... which is good because those are harmful to the betta's labrynth organ.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #22 
Oldfishlady

If the areas are getting a fuzzy look to them-I would start high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-along with 100% daily water changes, water temp in the 75-76F range....

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add the salt 3tsp/gal and tannins to steep for about 30min-1hr and use this premixed Tx water for 50% water changes every hour for 3 hours today and start 100% tomorrow for 7-10 days......

If you bought him in one of the temporary cup/lid-this is great to use for a QT......

Feed small frequent meals of a varied diet.....

Welcome to the forum.....lovely Betta by the way...nice find....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM   #23 
Finnigan

About the fuzzy spots, the mark on his head where I assume he's been scratched is barely visible, it used to be the same fuzzy as a spot on his right side but now it seems to have vanished. His right side still looks white-ish. To be honest from my oberservation (which might not mean much from a novice) it looks like something that you would get if you recieved a minor cut to the surface of your skin and the skin started to flake off when you brushed it. I'm going to continue the AQ salt and Stress coat treatment along with 100% water changes for the next few days unless it seems like he's getting worse. The way I see it he's showing signs of healing.

More good news, I gave him about 2 pieces of bloodworms I bought yesterday and I've never seem him as energetic as now! He's swimming very much and even spreading his fins open when I come to check up on him! His appetite is great and he's swimming a lot.

Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #24 
Indyfishy

Thank you sooo much OldFishLady =D To add on to what she said, tannins are the extracts (probably not the right word, can't think of the right one right now lol) of either Indian almond leaves or dried, crushed oak leaves. You can also use decaf green tea (just green tea, no added flavors), but it's not quite as strong as the IAL or oak leaves. Like OFL said, add the leaves (if you can get them) and the 3 tsps of salt into a gallon jug of dechlorinated water (use the stresscoat as the dechlorinator). The water will get nice and dark from the tannins, which is normal and is actually a big part of what helps the betta. Milk jugs work great, if you've got one!! Try to find the tannins if you can, as the salt is irritating and the tannins will really help soothe him and keep him calm. But if you can't find any, the stresscoat will still be of some help and just keep is tank nice and dark and quiet.

Edit: nevermind, i was writing while you posted!!! I'm sooooo glad he's feeling better, and it looks like the fuzz is already gone!!! Just continue with the salt and stresscoat for a few more days and see how he does, it looks like he's going to make a full recovery =D
Old 09-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #25 
Finnigan

I'm so happy for Finnigan's eventual recovery! I have to thank the kind people in this thread for helping me and guiding me through helping out my new friend! I will keep in mind the above treatment for future encounters =) Finnigan will be moved to a bigger home fitted with a heater and maybe a baffled filter when I can see for sure he has fully recovered.

For his recovery I think he'll do fine in the .5 gallons to save myself the hassle of performing immense 100% water changes during treatment. When I return home from collage I'm going to probably pick up some silk decor and sacrifice a nice smooth mug for his cause =P
Old 09-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #26 
Indyfishy

Hey there!!! Just wondering how Finnigan is doing, i hope he recovered well!! =)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #27 
Finnigan

Just checked up on him, his scales have fully recovered! No evidence of external damage to his scales are present and his appetite is amazing, he accepts food instantly. I've been trying not to let him get bloated so I feed him 1-2 pellets 3 times a day and fast him on Tuesdays which is today.

Long story short, he's doing amazing, and again I'll thank the kind people in this thread for helping me through my dilemma. Can't wait for the end of the week, gonna go home for the weekend and finally get a chance to pick up some things for Finni
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #28 
Indyfishy

Yay!!!! I'm so glad to hear that he got better =D You're very welcome, feel free to ask us any questions you might have!!! You might be overfeeding him just a tad bit, he only needs about 3 pellets a day plus a small sized bloodworm or two. Just remember, a betta's stomach is only about the size of his eyeball O=
Old 09-22-2011, 07:42 AM   #29 
Finnigan

Oh, really? That sounds quite small...thanks for the heads up! People advise a varied diet, all I've been feeding is pellets with bloodworms mainly as treats