Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #1 
ALS1104

snail/shrimp questions

i was thinking about getting a few snails or some shrimp to pick up after the boys and share their tanks with them... but i was wondering which one is better, if my tanks would be suitable for them, if theyre going to like their new house mates, and if theyre going to be beneficial to the tank?

my tanks:
- 10 gal divided for two boys, glass, baffled marineland penguin 100 filter, aqueon 50w heater, mixed rock substrate- mix of small medium and large rocks, plenty of live plants- hornwart, java ferns, and 1 moss ball, and a root decoration on each side.
- 3 gal with one boy, plastic/acryllic, tetra submersible 3i filter, 2 10w marina preset heaters, small rock substrate, lots of live plants- java ferns and hornwart, and a root decoration.
ALS1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #2 
ALS1104

also... what breeds/kinds of snails and shrimp are suitable to live with bettas?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #3 
ALS1104

sorry i keep adding on.... but i think with some research ive decided on trapdoor snails- if i go with snails. does anyone have any experience on here with them? theyre live bearers and theyre kinda cute...

still not sure on shrimp- im afraid they would get eaten but would like more info from people on here that have had them.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
snoopy

I recommend you the nerite snail, he canīt breed due to the temperature and itīs a magnificent algae eater.

And be careful with some shrimps.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #5 
Princess Penny

I don't recommend shrimps with bettas. I got two and they're both dead or MIA after just a few days, and my betta is pretty docile...

I second a nerite snail :)
Princess Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #6 
MybettaSapphire

I'm a fan of apple snails personally (but then again they're the only snails available at my Petsmart. You could have a couple in the ten gallon tank, but I wouldn't put any in the 3 gallon because they have a high bioload (general rule is 2.5 gallons for every snail). They eat blanched veggies (zucchini and broccoli are favorites here), algae on the tank and algae chips, and any leftover food. They are reall entertaining.
MybettaSapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #7 
ALS1104

Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to the local fish pet store to see if they have the nerite snails! If they're as cute as the trap doors ill come home with some lol