Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #11 
Banicks

Hi Trobar,

I recommend thoroughly cleaning the tank. Probably boiling water to disinfect any nasties from lizard or in-between owners - no cleaning products though.

As far as moving him into it, I recommend having a read of Day One: Betta - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078 specifically the information about transferring him into a new tank. It is basically outlined as so:

#1: Setup new tank (substrate, pump, accessories and heater – water conditioner also obviously). Let it all run for an hour or until water temperature is stable.

#2: Put Jake into temporary container (bag with air or plastic container filled with current water)

#3: Place temporary container with Jake on top of water to float against tank – this will acclimatise him to water temp. Leave this for 10-15 minutes.

#4: Place amounts of tank water into current container so you have a 50% old tank water and 50% new tank water mix (don’t let it sink). Leave this for 10-15 minutes.

#5: With a net, scoup Jake up and slowly place into new tank. Release and let him explore or do his thing. Discard temporary container and water – do not pour old water into new tank.

PS. Oops - what DragonFish said ^
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #12 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobar View Post
OK so now I am dusty, dirty but victorious!!!! I finally found the 2.5gal mini bow tank that we used for a baby lizard.

I thought once a tank had been used for a reptile, it can never be used again for fish?
The owner of a shelter i volunteer at told me this, something to do with something that will permently stay in the tank after a reptile uses it, and it can kill any fish that is put into that tank?
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #13 
Trobar

I have researched this in many places. I will have to wash the tank inside and out with a diluted bleach water 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water. then rinse with hot water several times. This process will kill any organisms that could be present. My main concern is how or where I would get a lid for it since this was a custom made tank, the lid is a screen that slides from front to back. Most of the hoods I have seen are not quite the right size. I may just do the 20g for now. I work at walmart and I can get a 20g glass tank with hood/light/filter/heater for under $90
Trobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #14 
alysalouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trobar View Post
I have researched this in many places. I will have to wash the tank inside and out with a diluted bleach water 1 cup bleach to 1 gallon water. then rinse with hot water several times. This process will kill any organisms that could be present. My main concern is how or where I would get a lid for it since this was a custom made tank, the lid is a screen that slides from front to back. Most of the hoods I have seen are not quite the right size. I may just do the 20g for now. I work at walmart and I can get a 20g glass tank with hood/light/filter/heater for under $90

Well hopefully that does work
No idea on a lid, other people might be able to help there, i have a 14 gallon that's lid is being used on one of my 10 gallons, but i took a light from my 55 gallon, and put it on there (its a little to long, but oh well, not horribly long) and then i used craft mesh to make a lid where the light didnt sit, so my bettas dont jump out, it works great, but at first i made it so the craft mesh went all the way across the tank, and the light sat on top of it, but it really cut down how much light got through, so i cut out the are where the light sits, works like a charm, but a 56 gallon tank, might be a pain to make a lid from craft mesh lol

Last edited by alysalouise; 09-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote