Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #1 
sseward

Exclamation my betta has been through so much, help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? flakes and pellets (alternating)
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day microscopic pinch

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every three-four days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 60-70
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? epsom salt (had a swimming bladder infection), and betta plus by nutrafin

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? tail is going away, no black edges though.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he seems happier..
When did you start noticing the symptoms? after he got over his swimming bladder infection
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i just ordered him aquarium salt, waiting for it to be shipped to my dorm
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he had a swimming bladder infection, that i believe almost killed him. but he recovered, and is now healthy except for this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? two, maybe.

okay, so twink had a swimming bladder infection, which everyone believed he would never recover from, he was laying on the bottom of his bowl struggling for air. but i treated him every way i could, switching up his diet, adding epsom salt, changing a lot of his water everyday, and he made a full recovery. but after he got up and started swimming around again i noticed his tail started looking like it was rotting. now, my goldfish had fin rot, and i did notice there was black on he edges of his tail, but with twink there is no black, it looks like tearing, i dont know if you can tell by the picture. his color is also really dull, but he is a pale fish to begin with. (light pinkish white and light blue) is he doing this to himself? will aquarium salt even help? whats wrong with him again, this fish make me worry so much :(
Attached Images

sseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Looks like Twink is tailbiting. Keep the water as clean as possible to minimize the chances of infection. If you can, change at least 50% of the water in his tank every 2 days for a week or two. After that, maybe try changing his water like this: 1 50% and 1 100% every week to see if that helps Twink stop tailbiting. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #3 
sseward

i was in my local pet store and i saw ..i think it was called a betta ball. it floated and there was a mirror on ti and it said to put in the water for five minutes a day for exercise and decrease boredom. i thought it sounded mean, but is it a good idea for keeping him from tail biting? i read that somewhere...
sseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Yeah, a lot of people put mirrors in front of their bettas a few times a week to get them to flare. The name of a betta ball sounds a little twisted but the concept is okay. The exercise is good for them and will help them live longer. But probably no more than a few times a week for 5 minutes a time.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

.... I do not think my Maine would have boredom -.-; he is content flaring at himself at the bottom of the tank, swmming sideways to show himself a lesson.... Some bettas do get bored though :) so yeah try getting him to do stuff... I even got mine to do some things for a treat or two, and it relieves him of boredom.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote