Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #11 
Pitluvs

The problem with 55g is its a narrow tank. 75 isn't much bigger length and height wise but its a lot wider I believe which this fish needs. I think 55g is bare bones, 75g is just enough but 95g+ is great. Oscars are one of the biggest fish our store sells.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #12 
TonyK

I do understand a 55 is pretty narrow but how often do you see a 13"Oscar.

Here is a Thread on cichlid forum. Just look at the post by Fish Guy the moderator. He know his stuff when it comes to ciclids.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...c.php?t=233531
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

I'm basing it all on this fish, not in general :P I have no experience with such large fish, only what I read on my tropical forums. I'll pass on the cichlids forum. I'm broke and everytime I read about cichlids I get depressed cause I can't have them! Oh do I want cichlids :(
Old 09-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #14 
TonyK

I know big fish are expensive. My dream tank is around 200 gallons with either a pair of Red Devils or Red Terrors. Both are beautiful fish but, need a huge tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I'm basing it all on this fish, not in general :P I have no experience with such large fish, only what I read on my tropical forums. I'll pass on the cichlids forum. I'm broke and everytime I read about cichlids I get depressed cause I can't have them! Oh do I want cichlids :(
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

Ya, 55g tanks with just canopy are like $150-200 here second hand. $600+ at the stores. I have no room anyways lol
Old 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #16 
ALS1104

that is not nearly enough space! i rescued a pair of oscars and a pleco from a 5 gallon tank- not each in 5 gal but all 3 in one 5 gal... and the oscars were both around 4 1/2" and 6" and the pleco was probably 6"... it was sad but i put the oscars in a 68 gal acryllic tank. it was on the small side but they were much more comfortable. when i get another oscar set up it will be be 150 gal or bigger.... they require alot of space to be happy... even a 55 for a single fish is pretty small, especially for a mature fish. theyre dirty fish so they need alot of aquarium maintenance- big filter systems, constant vacuuming, frequent water changes, ect...

maybe instead of going after her like a crazed peta member, you could give her some facts on oscar requirements and suggest alternative fish species for her to keep that can be kept in smaller quarters. most people arent attached to their fish like all of us on here and when they hear they can trade a single fish for many that are easier to care for they will jump on it.
ALS1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #17 
copperarabian

is she planning to upgrade? That Oscar could only be a year old, maybe she was just using it as a grow out tank while she saved up money for a proper tank, although unlikely it could be what is happening.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #18 
ForbiddenSecrets

I always thought it was 75 though I've only ever seen an Oscar in a 110 by my grandmother ages ago. Back before she got too old to keep them.

I'd try to tell her something... even if its "What a lovely fish :D Looks like it's time to upgrade him to his 75 :D" and see where that goes ha ha
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote