Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Diatoms..yuck

Well I've got my share, Since my tank is only a month old I'm not too worried since its apart of the natural cycle. I do have some questions however,
-Only otos and nerite snails eat diatoms? What about mystery snails?
-How long should I have to manually care for their removal before I need to invest in a nerite snail or otos?
-Do diatoms have any negative effects on the tank such as changing the pH or hardness or adding to the nitrogen levels?

Thanks for any responses.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Diatoms are generally harmless-unless they cover plant leave for a long time...as long as you are wiping it off and vacuuming it out weekly you should be fine.....once the tank matures the diatoms should resolve unless your light bulb is over a year old....then it may be old bulb related as well as new tank related....

I wouldn't recommend Otos for a tank under 20gal-they are small-but tend to do better in larger, mature, heavy planted tanks-this way you can keep a proper shoal as well since they are social.....

The snails are fine-but I wouldn't get one unless you like/want one to start......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #3 
thePWNISHER

Thanks OFL, Well my mystery snail isn't doing a whole lot so I'm assuming he doesn't prefer diatoms. If diatoms hang around for a month? I was thinking of possibly getting a nerite. I only have 1 betta, 4 glofish and 1 mystery snail so I'm willing to add a nerite if its my water since I'm not adding anything for the plants as of yet but I'd hate to need to add a little fertilizer and have diatoms explode more.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote