Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #1 
karen1229

update on Regular Fish

Ok so here's my first thread...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=80462

And the update...
Well, things are better, but not great. I was able to do everything recommended except the tannins. I sure hope that wasn't the most important part ughhh. Regular Fish is feeling better personality wise---he is eating very well, he is swimming around alot and interacting with us when we hang out near his tank...none of this he was doing 10 days ago. The ends of his fins are MUCH nicer looking. They were initially "knotted/kinked" looking and kinda stuck together. Now the ends look much straighter and he even flares his bottom and tail fins some (sorry, I know I'm using the wrong fin names), thought the top fin stays pretty thin and limp still. The big issue that didn't clear up is the brownish film all over his body. It's still there.

Any thoughts? I have very limited opportunities to get to a Petsmart type store, but I will be going that way either Thursday or Friday so if there's anything else I need please let me know.

I'm so happy Regular Fish didn't die (cuz I was SURE that's where he was heading 10 days ago) but I still am worried as he's not 100%.

Thanks so much for your input!!
karen1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #2 
Sakura8

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the brownish film. Is there any way you can get a clear, well-lit pic of him?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 
karen1229

If you look at the second picture in my first thread I linked at the top of this post, you can kind of see what I'm talking about. I apologize for the not-so-great quality of the pic, but look carefully and try to see the brownish dull-ish film that is on his body (there is more toward his tail and more on the lower half of the long length of his body). When we first got him he was nice and shiny blue. Now a large percentage of his body has this brownish stuff on it. I tried searching for brown-ish body issues and the closest I came up with was one that noted "metallic gold" when a light was shined on it. This is more dirty brown? It's not shiny or reflective when I shine a light on it.

I will try again tomorrow to get decent pictures of him, but my camera isn't great and darnit, it's hard to photograph fish lol!
karen1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi Karen. Don't worry, I totally understand that taking pics of fish is hard. Okay, I took a closer look at the second pic and while I'm still not sure I see a film per se, I do see the color change. A lot of sick fish go through a dramatic color change and turn a dullish color that is usually tinged brown so I'm wondering if that's what you're seeing. If this is the case, good food and clean water will bring back his rich blue coloring in time. If there is a film there, chances are good that it is his slime coat. He may have produced excess slime coat while he was sick and he hasn't shed it yet.

One product I would suggest you get if you can is API Stress Coat. It's a water conditioner and also an water additive that you can use to help heal fish and stimulate a healthy slime coat production. You can substitute it completely for your regular water conditioner if you wish, or simply add a few drops during your water changes.

You may also want to consider picking up some frozen bloodworms or frozen brine shrimp. These are high in protein and will also help him in the healing process. You can feed these once a day as part of his regular diet.

Good luck with him and keep us posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote