Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

Fin Rot or Tail Biting?

Well, i noticed last week that my betta's fins looked really ragged in places. I gave him a salt bath and he didn't look any better. But he didn't look worse either, so i thought i would wait and see what happend. A week later and I am really getting worried! It is getting even worse and there is actually a chunk missing! This didn't happen over night but he didn't have it when i bought him. I noticed the filter was way to strong and even when i baffled it he was still stressed and freaking out! So today i took out the filter and have decided to just up the water changes. I did another Salt bath today and he doesn't look any better. So now i am posting here to see if i can get some help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallon Aqueon Mini Bow
What temperature is your tank? 76- 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but i took it out today. Because even when it was baffled. He was still freaking out.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two Pellets Twice a day, with bloodworms once a week.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Three times a week. On Sunday, Wensday and Friday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 100% one 50% and one 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta bowl plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins look shredded and stuck together.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Two salt baths
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that i know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? N/A

Pictures!

ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #2 
teasell

Looks like your Betta is tailbiting. Hope some of the more knowledgible people check your thread out.
My Ghost was doing the same thing and I removed his filter also and he is now healing . I also had to change his lighting set up as he didn't have a problem till I added a fourescent bulb to his hood. So you might want to lower the light level also.

Your Betta is gorgeous and I hope you get him back on track soon
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #3 
Bloeduwedd

Are his fins naturally edged in black? It definitely looks like tail biting, unless the black isn't normal. I would suggest adding more plants, decor, or finding some way to give him more stimulation, like putting a mirror by his tank for a little while a day. My VT Magico likes to talibite when he's bored, but usually rearranging his bowl gets him to stop. You shouldn't have to treat him with AQ salt, just keep his water very very clean, which you should be doing anyways
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #4 
ArcticRain

Yes, his fins naturally have the black edging. At least when i bought him he had the black edging. The black hasn't changed though. Actually, when I took out the filter i added more plants to his tank and I'm going to start putting a mirror by his tank every day for a couple minuets. Hopefully he will stop. I really think the filter had a lot to do with it. Can some bettas just not handle any current at all? Here is his tank!

Is there anything I can do to make it better for him?

Last edited by ArcticRain; 09-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:34 AM   #5 
teasell

Yes, some just do not like filters my Ghost being one. Thank goodness they seem to heal up pretty fast or at least ghost is quickly regrowing what he destroyed
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #6 
ArcticRain

I'm just glad he didn't bite too much of his fins off. Hopefully he will heal faster then normal.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #7 
Silverfang

Yep, tail biter. Darn those tail biters.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM   #8 
Myates

It looks like tail biting, and part of it may be.. but the 1st and 2nd picture you can see tiny holes at the edging of his fins, within his fins. That is a sign of fin rot.
If there are holes in his fins, then I would go ahead and do the proper treatment for fin rot; 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQ salt, 100% daily changes 10-14 days. QT him since plants can't tolerate AQ salt.
Also, is that a ribbon plant and is it real? If so on both counts, I would recommend removing it since it is not an aquatic plant and can harm him and his water.

He is a very handsome guy! Love his colors.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #9 
ArcticRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It looks like tail biting, and part of it may be.. but the 1st and 2nd picture you can see tiny holes at the edging of his fins, within his fins. That is a sign of fin rot.
If there are holes in his fins, then I would go ahead and do the proper treatment for fin rot; 1 teaspoon per gallon of AQ salt, 100% daily changes 10-14 days. QT him since plants can't tolerate AQ salt.
Also, is that a ribbon plant and is it real? If so on both counts, I would recommend removing it since it is not an aquatic plant and can harm him and his water.

He is a very handsome guy! Love his colors.

Thank you for all the information! I will look again to see if there are holes. If there aren't any can I still QT him and treat him with AQ salt just to be safe? Will it hurt him if I do it and he doesn't have fin rot?
I don't know of it's a ribbon plant but, all the plants in his tank are fake so, it doesn't really matter.

Another question if I move him into QT I can't have a heater in his tank. Is that ok?

Thank you! I love his colors too so, he better stop tail biting and heal fast!
Old 09-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #10 
ArcticRain

I have been watching him today and he does have tiny holes in his fins. So QT with AQ salt? I just realized I can't heat a 1 gallon QT tank, what do I do?