Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 
OlivertheImpaler

Unhappy Dull Scales

So, I've had my male betta for almost six months now. He's been very healthy, regular changes in water, made sure he wasn't over fed, but fed diligently. Although I did find out that he has fin rot, poor thing. He's my first, and i didn't know it existed so it's very advanced at this point, sadly.
Unfortunately, the last time i changed his water, Oliver tried to commit bettacide... I was about to put him back in his tank and he decided to jump out and landed on his table... Then flopped around some more while i panicked... Then fell on the carpet...
Good news, he's obviously still alive. My brother was there with a calm mind while i was shrieking my head off =.=
Anyway, excuse the long winded explanation... His scales are now fairly dull, and i think i injured his tail as his fin rot crept up really fast afterwards. He has a normal swimming bladder, and he's not gold. He doesn't appear to be fuzzy. He's swimming normally (well until he gets tired with his poor fins T.T) and he has the same appetite.
I don't know if his scales are another problem, or its just because he fell and lost his slime like stuff. Please tell me if his scales are indeed a medical problem.

P.s. he has just started a salt water regiment, and hopefully that would help with fungus, but I would like to know if i need to keep an eye on his scales.
OlivertheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 
Myates

Aww poor guy =(

2 tsp AQ salt per gallon, 100% daily water changes, 10-14 days to help with his fin rot, as well as reduce the chance of other infections. (if you notice the rot not being cleared up by the 8th day or so, up it to no more then 3tsp/gal)
Stress coat+, use it as the water conditioner or along side of it while doing the 100% daily changes. It will help with his slime coat, help rebuild it and protect it. As well as it will help his fin regrowth.

You can continue to use stress coat as his conditioner once he is off his treatment or you can just add it in along with his regular conditioner.

He just sounds as if he is in shock, and if your brother's hands weren't wet when he picked him up, then it could of caused him to lose some of his coat. So would definitely get the stress coat.

Just make sure his water is cleaned daily to help him heal on all fronts. I'd move him to a gallon QT while he is being treated to make it easier on you.
Good luck and keep us posted on how he is doing.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #3 
OlivertheImpaler

Ok thank you!
OlivertheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assisance, dull, scales