Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #1 
SwayLocks

How Long?

how long can a betta typically survive without food? (not to the point of severe starvation)

im in the process of fasting my betta because he had a serious bloat. and its been about a week and i only feed him 2 pellets throughout the course of a week.
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #2 
WiccanWisdom
Banned

From what I've learned over the years bettas can go about 2 weeks without food without suffering any real side effects
WiccanWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #3 
jman828

+1 IME That's all I've evry heard. But of course, only if you HAVE to!
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #4 
SwayLocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
+1 IME That's all I've evry heard. But of course, only if you HAVE to!
whats 1 IME?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 
metalbetta

+1 usually means they're agreeing with the above statement, and IME means "In My Experience"

I agree as well, 2 weeks seems to be about right. I mean it depends on the betta, some can go longer, some can't go nearly as long. I would say if you're going to be gone for anything over 1 - 1 1/2 weeks, ask someone to feed your fish.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #6 
EverythingNice55

Bettas can live without food for about 2 weeks, but I don't recommend it. You should feed your betta at least once a day. Bettas can be little pigs sometimes! Especially my betta! He will eat ANYTHING ANYTIME! LOL!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure its bloat and not a full tummy...generally you will have other symptoms along with the bloat-Like buoyancy problems, lethargic, hiding, clamp fins, stops eating and pooping to name a few things that can be seen along with bloat......

They can go a fairly long time without food, however, it not a good idea since it will slow all systems...even with bloat they need to be offered food if they are willing to eat.....in very small amounts several times a day.....

Can you post a pic-how big is his tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite and type/amount of food, how old is he and how long have you had him, what kind of treatments have you tried and has he ever been sick and/or treated beside this time..

IME-in my experience....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 
SwayLocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Are you sure its bloat and not a full tummy...generally you will have other symptoms along with the bloat-Like buoyancy problems, lethargic, hiding, clamp fins, stops eating and pooping to name a few things that can be seen along with bloat......

They can go a fairly long time without food, however, it not a good idea since it will slow all systems...even with bloat they need to be offered food if they are willing to eat.....in very small amounts several times a day.....

Can you post a pic-how big is his tank, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filter, live plants, additives used, appetite and type/amount of food, how old is he and how long have you had him, what kind of treatments have you tried and has he ever been sick and/or treated beside this time..

IME-in my experience....

well i think his is not so severe when you look at his body anymore (it was though) and he still swims very active, doesnt hide, not clamped fins.

the only thing that i noticed about him was he got a little paler, and he hasnt pooped at all since he's gotten "bloated". after about a 5 days of fasting and epsom salt 100% daily changes, i fed him just one pellet and it made his tummy really swollen. and thier was a thin red lining under his body which kinda looked like internal bleeding. after i just stopped feeding him completely its been about 2 days since i last fed him he already looks a little better. but he still hasnt pooped! i'm going to try the frozen daphina to make his stools more loose. what do you recommend.?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #9 
Myates

Is this other thread you made the same thing you are talking about here? The bloating/constipation? Thread
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote