Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #1 
afishpond

Question a little help

hi all dose anyone know were i can go and read up on the temp. of the water needs to be for eggs to hatch in nest . would like to see what the range is and get more info on this thx.
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I like to keep my water temp at 80F-this gives me good hatch in 24-30h....too low you can get poor development and hatch and too high and they develop too fast and you can end up with weak fry.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #3 
afishpond

i'm not getting any fry's from the spawn's egg's but know fry's water temp. is around 70 so was wanting some info on them as to low of temp the eggs can stand and still hatch.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I have had them hatch in pretty cool water...but I never paid much attention to how long it took.....in my outside spawns the water can be as low as 50F at times after a rain with eggs in a nest.....and fry swimming around...but generally the water will warm up to about the mid 70"s by 10-11AM an continue to warm throughout the day and if I don't see another nest within 24h-this usually tells me the the first nest of eggs had been successful...generally in my outside spawns I will have a new nest of eggs every 3 days-unless I steal it to artificial hatch and they will have a new nest of eggs within 24h.....they can tolerate lower temps short term...but once it goes into the 48h mark they will start to get really lethargic and death in the 72h range if kept at 50F or less for adults and so I would think eggs would be more sensitive than that...IMO..

I have also lost eggs in the house from a broken heater before too and the water temp only dropped to 72ish range from 80F....it may make a difference in what they are kept in to start too....if the breeders spawn in the 70F water the eggs should hatch in the 70F water-although not ideal.....

.....but other things may be wrong as well....how was the male acting toward the nest/eggs...was he tending, mouthing the eggs during this time.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-23-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 
afishpond

males are cating great to of them still have nest in tank after a week or more i don't know whats going on i've used 6 male i know of may be more got lots of eggs male take care of them but they don't hatch water last night was down to 68 now it's 72 one male had over a 100 eggs i've tryed all i know got two heater's comeing hope that does it .i put green water in tanks soon as i se eggs place a little boiled eggs mix in next day watch male s so they don't eat eggs i just don't get it did the same way last year got 5 out of 5
Old 09-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If you don't have hatch within 48h...the eggs are most likely bad...maybe they didn't get fertilized or something and I would hold off adding any grren water and egg yolk until after the fry are free swimming or you could cause fungus eggs......on you next spawn-try artificially hatching the eggs-this will at least tell you if they are viable or not...but adding the heater will help by maintain a somewhat stable temp at 80F.....good luck...