Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #1 
Betta311

Question Questions on shrimp and plants

Do ghist shrimp always have little balls or is it eggs?
I found these floating in my canal and have had them in this cup with bubbles for a few days..can I put them in my tank?they have awsome hanging roots.
Betta311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #2 
MoePaac

Looks like eggs, usually they are a green color. If you're worried about them hatching, most if not all won't make it. They often get eaten even by their parents. I had a tank that was only stocked with ghost shrimp and I had 1 baby ever make it to the point where I could see him swimming around.

The plant looks like a specie of duckweed. It's safe to use. I would change the water a few more times to ensure a good quarantine and then throw it in your tank. Make sure you're using dechlorinated water even in the quarantine cup. Floating plants are really great for sucking up ammonia and other harmful chemicals.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #3 
Betta311

Im not worried about babys,i wouldnt mind.thanks ill putem in my tank..think I should bleach dip them?someone told me to.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #4 
Micho

Er, no dipping in bleach would just kill it and contaminate your tank and poison your fish. . .

If you're worried about the duckweed just QT in a different tank for 2 ~ 3 weeks or so, it's your choice.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #5 
Betta311

Ok thanks,the guy said 19-1 bleach ratio then soak rinse soak several times before putting it in..i thought that was dunb...
Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 
kstryker

Can the ghost shrimp survive without a filter and aeration? I have a huge 4-5 gal bowl that my betta is in and I'd like to add something to it. I have live plants and snails as well.
kstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Er, no dipping in bleach would just kill it and contaminate your tank and poison your fish. . .

If you're worried about the duckweed just QT in a different tank for 2 ~ 3 weeks or so, it's your choice.
This is frogbit, btw.|

Bleach dips are perfectly safe at a low low low ratio (19:1), and only for a few seconds. Dont let them sit... it kills them. Mine died because I left them to soak, ack.

Rinse gently and well and a wait a few days.

The biggest issue with plants coming from the wild is that theyre used to having much more light that you will probably be able to give them.

Water changes (daily) for a week or better yet 3 (because theyre wild), as well as MASSIVE amounts of sun, slowly weaning them off, will keep them alive..

I would keep them outside, giving less and less light, and less, and less.. will ensure they dont die. Water changes keeps the nasties out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta311 View Post
Ok thanks,the guy said 19-1 bleach ratio then soak rinse soak several times before putting it in..i thought that was dunb...
Hes right, see above.. no soak, its a Bleach DIP* for a reason. More so than bleaching is just allowing it to QT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstryker View Post
Can the ghost shrimp survive without a filter and aeration? I have a huge 4-5 gal bowl that my betta is in and I'd like to add something to it. I have live plants and snails as well.
Im not sure if they need a filter, per se, but they really should live in a cycled tank, planted, to live well and healthy. Constant changes, like the one your 4-5 unfiltered tank with large water changes will need, isnt going to be good for them.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #8 
Bambi

Hmm, i've been told they need the aeration but i honestly don't know.

As for the bleach. I use a 1 part bleach to10 parts water for my ten gallon when i empty it out and scrub it between spawns. Let it air dry then rinse a few times with regular water. Never used it on plants though. I would just QT it for a couple week with frequent water changes(probably a mix of water form my fish tank taken during water changes and then some clean water)
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #9 
Betta311

Well,i have 2 100 watt equivalent 6100k cfls about 2in from them if they go in the tank.....ill QT them for two more weeks along with my lili pad :)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #10 
MoePaac

I've kept ghost's without a filter nor aeration. Also, not to argue about it, but I'm not sure that's frogbit? It looks nothing like my frogbit, unless there's an outdoor verse indoor difference in growth.

frogbit

duckweed
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote