Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #1 
legendarydogs

A 55 Gallon Betta Sonority?

Hi, I have this giant (Well, at least it seems it to me.) 55 gallon tank. It's not a tall but I don't think it's a long either.

I was thinking about doing a betta sonority with it. Maybe 9 or 11 female and keeping them with some other fish? It will be live planted.

As far as other fish I'm thinking about a large group of neon tetras, around 15. Maybe 8 or so zebra danios? I hear the fast-movement can stress out bettas, but seeing that it's a larger tank, and that female bettas and faster then males, would it be a problem?

I'd probably add 4 cory's, peppered or albino with 8 or so harlequin rasboras...

Am I over-stocking? Under-stocking? Am I missing something?

Sorry for all the questions!
legendarydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....and ask all the questions you need.....

The 55gal live planted with Betta sorority will look awesome, I would stay with only 2 different species of schooling fish and add to those numbers-like Neon tetra 18-20 and a second school species-Danios- that you like in the 8-10 range-it will look better this way and increase your corydora number to 6-8....maybe add some snails and shrimp...especially with live plants.....what kind of substrate do you plan and type of live plants-any plans for driftwood....if so-add one- BN pleco to the mix or once the tank has matured and plants growing really good-add a small school of Oto's....you could even limit the school to 1 species and add a livebearer-like Endlers or guppies and this would provide some live food to the mix......you can go so many direction with a 55gal......

What kind of lights do you plan-is this your first planted tank....if so, lighting is really important for successful plant growth-and they don't have to break the bank either......you can get proper plant lights for a 55g for under $12.00 if you already have the light strips and if not-you can still do it for under $30.00.......anyway......

How do you plan to establish the nitrogen cycle-do you have a test kit, if so, what kind...liquid reagent or strips.....

Look forward to pics and following your project....so much fun setting up a tank......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-25-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #3 
Tikibirds

That sounds awsome. I would love to have a 55 gallon tank, but I dont have room for it. Plus I live on the 2nd floor and the weight of the water would be like 500 or so pounds. Not sure these old floors could handle it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta sorority