Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #11 
Jorjor2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I feed massive amounts of mosquito larva to all my fish and have never had any problems......

On my outside spawns-that is all they get for about 3 months-nothing else-just mosquito larva and whatever else falls in their water or the other critters that are in the rain barrels that I scoop out and add to their buckets.

I didn't have as many larva this year as I normally get due to the drought-and so I did supplement feed the Bettas this year-but in years past....that is all they get....and now that the drought is over...I am getting massive amounts of larva again.......and I can already tell the difference in the Bettas and the fry growth in getting the more natural foods.....they grow before your eyes....lol......

I found that the nastier the mosquito larva water the better....I put lots of organic stuff in the buckets I want to culture/collect larva......horse manure, leaves, dirt and one of my best buckets for larva is the opossum poop water I remove from my possum cage...I pour this nasty water in coffee cans and within 24-48h I will have massive tiny larva for the fry......

I always rinse the larva really good under running water before I feed them to the fish and if I save any for the nest day-I always cover the container and keep in a cool location to slow them from hatching and the lid keeps the ones that do hatch from flying around the house-I drown any skeeters that do hatch and feed them as well.....nothing is wasted.....

Approx how many do you feed each betta per day?
Jorjor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

I don't really know to be honest....I just add the larva to the tanks 1-2 times a day......I get really big larva and tiny one that I try to separate so I can feed to different tanks and I collect more than just mosquito larva....some of the larva hatch out to be a black looking fly.....but if I had to guess.....4-6 large larva per adult 1-2 times a day.....since it is a more natural food-they digest them easily....
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #13 
sorrelhorse1

@ OFL so basically if you make a nasty mess they will come? How do you know they are "safe" to feed? I mean from parasites, diseases, and such? Do you just let the fish tell you, or just give everyone doses of aquarium, or Epsom salt?
sorrelhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

If the larva are alive-then the water is not poisoned......as far as parasites and larva...I have never had any issues with my fish getting parasites from eating larva-their natural gastric acid and enzymes should take care of that along with a healthy immune response......nearly all fish have internal parasites to a degree that they shed on a regular basis anyway.....and most of the natural foods parasites have a regular live cycle that may not be completed once eaten.......

You don't ever want to add the larva water to the Bettas water and you always want to rinse them well before feeding.....the water they are in could be problematic but not the larva itself as long as its alive.....make sense.....
Oldfishlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #15 
sorrelhorse1

Oh, ok. I get it. Sometimes I need small words and little pictures but eventually I get it. ;) Thanks.
sorrelhorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote