Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #1 
Mamaduck

unhappy betta fish

My betta fish has been trying to eat this week but keeps spitting out the flakes. This is his normal food. He doesn't look sick although he has lost his red highlights over the last few months. Any ideas?
Mamaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #2 
beetlebz

is that the only thing you feed? Im no betta expert, I just killed 2 myself :( but from what I read here and elsewhere bettas do well with variety in their diet. blood worms, my females liked frozen brine shrimp, shelled peas... im sure a search or a more knowledgeable forum member can give you more suggestions :)
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #3 
Mamaduck

Unhappy betta fish

You have ferrets?! Cool. Thanks for the info. I tried blood worm but he didn't care for that. I guess I've been cruel just giving him one kind, although it has a few extra things in it.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM   #4 
beetlebz

Re: Unhappy betta fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaduck
You have ferrets?!
3 :)

but I had alot of trouble getting mine to eat. i had to keep trying to get them to take dried blood worms and frozen brine shrimp but they eventually did :) then died because im horrible :(
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #5 
loren1983

I think bettas are a bit picky. Ours wouldn't touch the "betta food" my husband got (sm. pellets) so I got freeze dried bloodworms and he definitely went for those until I added a few cory cats who love warner goldfish crumbles. Now betta dives for the crumbles and plays "catch" with a piece until is gets soft enought to chew. He loves them, and at 1.48 a bottle, I say good for him.

Best

Loren
loren1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:49 PM   #6 
oompagump

Re: unhappy betta fish

Quote:
My betta fish has been trying to eat this week but keeps spitting out the flakes. This is his normal food. He doesn't look sick although he has lost his red highlights over the last few months. Any ideas?
Mine did that too when I got him. It turns out he was actually nibbling, I guess you could say, at the flakes. Actually, he still does it, 5 months later. It could also be your food that is changing his color.
oompagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #7 
Mamaduck

unhappy betta fish

Thank you, oompa and loren, for your comments. Our weather has been changing and I think his water temperature was fluctuating too much. I've kept it at 77, treated the water for 1 week for stress, and he's been eating better. I may have to try the goldfish crumbles. Would they be a complete nutrient? I don't think the blood worms are a sufficient diet even though he likes them more than the flakes.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #8 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: unhappy betta fish

Quote:
Thank you, oompa and loren, for your comments. Our weather has been changing and I think his water temperature was fluctuating too much. I've kept it at 77, treated the water for 1 week for stress, and he's been eating better. I may have to try the goldfish crumbles. Would they be a complete nutrient? I don't think the blood worms are a sufficient diet even though he likes them more than the flakes.
Bettas are carnivorous and bloodworms are greatly relished but this should be fed to them only once or twice a week to minimize the chances of bloat. There are earthworms, shrimps, brine shrimps, mosquito larva and daphnia to feed bettas. Varying the diet is the key point to a healthy fish.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote