Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #2531 
SwayLocks

Can i feed my betta fish boogers?
SwayLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #2532 
phoenix91

I'm planning on rearranging the inhabitants of 2 of my tanks. I'm moving my dwarf puffer from, his 20g (i lost his little buddy yesterday and he's freaking being in that huge tank alone) into my female vt's 5g and moving her into the 20g and getting a school of rasboras or maybe tetras to go in with her.

So my question: Do i need to do anything specific when i move them? I'll obviously acclimate them but do i need to change the water completely prior to the move?

Both fish are healthy and eating well, aside from Button the DP's freak outs he's doing fine and is, as far as i can tell, disease free.

Before adding the new fish that i'll get i am going to qt them to check for diseases and treat anything i find.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #2533 
Betta Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh12 View Post
How long can Betta's be without food before "problems" start?
From the getting a new betta sticky thread it says they can go about 5 days without food. Hope that helps.
Betta Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #2534 
Betta Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayLocks View Post
Never, ever feed them anything except betta food. That's toxic waste and it's something like feeding humans with betta poop. It might cause them to be sick and die.
Betta Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #2535 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
I'm cycling my ten gallon (Its fish-in, but OFL gave me some good guidelines. :)) and just want to double check something. When the ammonia gets to 0.50 PPM I need to change the water to get it back to 0 PPM, right? (Using API test kit and twice weekly water changes.)

(And I believe that I remember that boogers are things that your nose mucus catches that aren't supposed to be in your body, and then when they accumulate up enough you sneeze them out. Or something like that. So I would think that bettas aren't supposed to have them in them either. [It made me stop eating my own...Gross, I know...] So the same as Betta Monkey said.)

Last edited by HazelrahLayna7; 09-26-2011 at 04:52 PM.
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #2536 
TheCrysCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayLocks View Post
No. Why were you even planning on such a thing?
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #2537 
betaguy

Why won; my betta flair? he is labelled a half moon and is very small, perhaps he is still too young?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #2538 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix91 View Post
I'm planning on rearranging the inhabitants of 2 of my tanks. I'm moving my dwarf puffer from, his 20g (i lost his little buddy yesterday and he's freaking being in that huge tank alone) into my female vt's 5g and moving her into the 20g and getting a school of rasboras or maybe tetras to go in with her.

So my question: Do i need to do anything specific when i move them? I'll obviously acclimate them but do i need to change the water completely prior to the move?

Both fish are healthy and eating well, aside from Button the DP's freak outs he's doing fine and is, as far as i can tell, disease free.

Before adding the new fish that i'll get i am going to qt them to check for diseases and treat anything i find.
QT is a good idea, I would probably do a fairly substantial (not 100%) water change, like 50% or something before putting them in to dilute any hormones either fish could have excreted in terms of territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelrahLayna7 View Post
I'm cycling my ten gallon (Its fish-in, but OFL gave me some good guidelines. :)) and just want to double check something. When the ammonia gets to 0.50 PPM I need to change the water to get it back to 0 PPM, right? (Using API test kit and twice weekly water changes.)

(And I believe that I remember that boogers are things that your nose mucus catches that aren't supposed to be in your body, and then when they accumulate up enough you sneeze them out. Or something like that. So I would think that bettas aren't supposed to have them in them either. [It made me stop eating my own...Gross, I know...] So the same as Betta Monkey said.)
You are correct about the boogers, lol.

As for the water changes, in my experience, I would just lower them to a "SAFE" level, but not 0. If you lower it to 0 the bacteria will starve and die off, which will reset your cycle.

I have personally NEVER had any trouble cycling fish-in. I think in my 5 gals, I changed the water once a week with 1 fish in it, until it finally cycled.

Oh well XD
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #2539 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
QT is a good idea, I would probably do a fairly substantial (not 100%) water change, like 50% or something before putting them in to dilute any hormones either fish could have excreted in terms of territory.
Thanks. I have a QT i can set up ready to go. I was planing on moving the two fish either tomorrow or Thursday (water change days) so i can do a large water change with them both in bags/cups or whatever.
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #2540 
betaguy

Are Plankats rare? noticed the cost for them on aquabid is higher than the others and they dont have any at petsmart.
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote