Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #41 
animallover4lyfe

Hmm ok. Lol i feed alot too but believe me
Fry eat alot and what thy dont eat youll suck up with your everyday water changes. Its just gonna be alot of poop with 3 snails lol. And i found with my 1 snail he comes out when i feed microworms so make sure your snails arent gonna eat all the food
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #42 
Mohan85

when they're real small i use a turkey baster to suck all the dust looking crap out of the floor tank.. after they're 2 - 3 weeks old i start to siphon with your standard airline tubing, i siphon the bottom clean and if not enough water was taken out, i scoop out some more with a cup and then gently replace water.. as they get older i start using a bigger tube since it makes the work faster.. i do this about once or twice a day.. and thats how i clean my fry tanks....
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #43 
Gloria

Mohan85. Thats sounds like a fairly simple way to do things. I am thinking about cleaning my fry tank fairly much the same. What size tank do you use?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #44 
Gloria

What size grow out tank does everyone use? And what age do you move them to the grow out tank?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #45 
animallover4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritingyou View Post
Of course I will Gloria! I will probably have a new thread about them when they are around 3-4 weeks old.

animallover4lyfe thanks so much! Do you think maybe I should only worry about getting the snail poop out until they are around 2 weeks old? Then start adding water in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
What size grow out tank does everyone use? And what age do you move them to the grow out tank?

Im using a 20 gallon long. My babies are almost 6 weeks old so im doing it now but im sure people do it earlier .
animallover4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #46 
Mohan85

Quote:
you can do anywhere from 5 to 50 gallons.. the most important thing is constant water change.. so it might be easier to go smaller.. i currently use a 10 gallon for my 3 weeks fry and a 20 gallon for my 9 weeks fry but i think its all really just personal preference.. i know some ppl who grow out just fine in a 5 gallon

Last edited by Mohan85; 09-26-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Mohan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #47 
MrVampire181

I just leave gunk on the bottom...since I don't feed microworms anymore it doesn't cause any problems. I use 30 gallons for growouts with the most success.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #48 
Ritingyou

MrVampire was wonderinf if you ever had problems with plants rotting really quickly.. My pair spawned but then today I found out that the fry died right after hatching and also found out that I had a amonia spike because there was a plant in the back that I didnt see that was rotting :(

It seems plants ALWAYS die in that specific tank...
Ritingyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #49 
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritingyou View Post
I know that last time after the fry were free swimming Drake (the daddy) didnt really bother with the fry anymore because they kept swimming out of the nest so I went ahead and took him out.

I'll have to see what others say before I decide what to do about the water.. I mean it worked for MrVampire.. so I dont see why the water would be a problem.. yet just because I read it, I get paranoid about it :/

I was thinking about using a turkey baster to get it out.. just curious but how much water do you use in the fry tank bambi?
When i spawn them in my ten gallon i fill it pretty shallow, only a few inches.

After theyre free swimming i remove the dad then every day add a little more water until the tank is almost full(about 8 gallons worth) a week or so later. I keep it around 8 gallons-9gallons untill they're big enough to be move either to their own tanks/jars or a growout bin.

On the note of crushing i don't think you'll have to worry if you're using a ten gallon or less tank to hatch them in. I honestly don't know where the line is drawn for a danger level. But always start shallow and fill up, easier on everyone(dad,fry,you).
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #50 
Bambi

Quote:
Depends on how many fry i have. 10 or less i'd probably keep them in the ten gallon spawn tank then just jar themalesand the bigger females untill everyone is eventually jarred, sororities,rehomed and what not.

I raised a spawn of 60 in a ten gallon on that method, but now that i have a large 20gallon long i plan to use that for my current spawn, and maybe my next until i can afford 10 quality females for a fancy sorority of breeder females.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote