Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #2541 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
Why won; my betta flair? he is labelled a half moon and is very small, perhaps he is still too young?
He is probably young or too nervous to flare. Some betta don't ever flare, some flare at everything and anything. It depends on his temperament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
Are Plankats rare? noticed the cost for them on aquabid is higher than the others and they dont have any at petsmart.
I am not sure if they are rare, but one of the reasons why they are more expensive on Aquabid is purely because of demand. Plakats are popular right now.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #2542 
Micho

I have a quick question, is there any fish tanks out that being sold that are generally longer in width than height?

Something like a rectangle, preferably holds more than 2 gallons? I've been Googling but no luck so far, wondering if anyone here had experience with a tank like this.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #2543 
shrazybunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
I have a quick question, is there any fish tanks out that being sold that are generally longer in width than height?

Something like a rectangle, preferably holds more than 2 gallons? I've been Googling but no luck so far, wondering if anyone here had experience with a tank like this.
I've seen someone posting a long 2 gallon that they said they got at Michaels...

I'm considering getting a snail. If I were to do a 100% water change, would I just pluck it off of where ever it was and stick it in a betta cup? Or do I leave it in there?
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #2544 
HazelrahLayna7

Location: A lovely valley in VA, USA But Inkworld, Mossflower woods, Farsala, or The TARDIS is good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
QT is a good idea, I would probably do a fairly substantial (not 100%) water change, like 50% or something before putting them in to dilute any hormones either fish could have excreted in terms of territory.

You are correct about the boogers, lol.

As for the water changes, in my experience, I would just lower them to a "SAFE" level, but not 0. If you lower it to 0 the bacteria will starve and die off, which will reset your cycle.

I have personally NEVER had any trouble cycling fish-in. I think in my 5 gals, I changed the water once a week with 1 fish in it, until it finally cycled.

Oh well XD
LOL, I studied it in science a few weeks ago...

Would a safe level be more towards 0.25 PPM, or between that and 0? I can never get it truly to 0, the color's always a bit off.
HazelrahLayna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #2545 
nel3

i got a good issue here. i moved to my new place yesterday. i had brought over my VT that day. he was good for the day but the tank he's in is .5g unheated is probably over heating. the unit gets hot very fast, had recorded 86F as room temp then with AC it goes to 73F. i dont have the blinds set up, AC can be put on auto and there is a vent pump that can either draw the air in or out the unit. atm, im thinking of leaving the AC on auto and leave the air pump to remove the air. lately outside temp is mid 20 celcius. i plan to put the VT and a DT into a 5gal heated but the 86F is something to worry about if i leave AC off. the VT has bitten his tail over night, not sure if its the temperature or his old habit coming back.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #2546 
shrazybunny

Are one of those "betta tanks" good for QT? Like this:http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11107656
shrazybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #2547 
bahamut285

@shrazybunny: Yes, those are fine for QT, but I recommend getting 1 Gallon so dosing of Epsom or Aquarium salts or medications are much simpler.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #2548 
thePWNISHER

Question to clarify blanching zuchini and storage...So I can slice a whole zuchini, boil it for 3 min or so, Then let it cool and weigh it down when i place it into my tank for my veggie creatures. Can I then freeze the remaining unused slices or how long will it stay good in a refrigerator? I'm sure only a few days but I only plan to add veggies like once a week.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #2549 
betaguy

I have a glass cover with no holes in it. In order to get some air in there i just put the cover half way on and off. is a cover nescasary and why and is there a better way to go about covering it? is condensation on the side that the cover covers allright?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #2550 
betaguy

anyone?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote