Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #1 
jessgraham

Arrow My First Betta

Hey guys!
Jessica's the name and I just bought my first betta on Sunday. His name is Oscar. I'm getting a little concerned, because he doesn't eat a lot. Keep in mind the only resources i have at my disposal is what's available at walmart.
I fed him about 4 pellets. He ate one then spit out another one and wouldn't touch the others. That was yesterday. Same thing today.
He lives in a 1 gal. tank (i know... i know...) because it was the only shatterproof one they sold. I have a 2 year old and safety is a BIG issue.
He's very active and seems to be happy. He loves his cave.
Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
jg
jessgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #2 
Miyazawa

Normally it takes a while for them to adjust to the new environment. It took mine like 5 days to really swim around, now he's already in the front of the tank stalking me when i'm doing my homework LOL Anyway, make sure you have a thermometer, and heater because betta likes to be in warm water (76-80). Also, make sure that your plants are silk plant and the decos don't have sharp edges that can tear their fins. Other than that try soaking your pellets in garlic juice because they like that. I wouldn't worry if your fish is not displaying other symptoms like clamped fin, swimming sideways...etc. You can read this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64078 for more infos. Congratz on your first betta :D
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote