Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
titusthebetta

How to Choose?!

So this weekend my parents are coming up to visit me for college, and either Friday or Saturday I'll be getting my first betta buddy. My problem is, I have no idea how to choose! I mean, I know what things to look for as far as their health, and I know people say "let the betta choose you," but honestly whenever I'm around looking at them I want to take them all home. :P

I really like halfmoons, and the local Petco does carry some, but since this is a gift from my parents, I don't think they'll want to pay the price for a halfmoon. How should I convince them if I find one I really like? Or should I respect their price demands?
titusthebetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

What of you come up with the rest of the price, they pay for a regular and you pay the difference? My boys all picked me, Ben was the only one I picked since he was my first. Good luck!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Pitluvs is right, they do kind of choose you haha. One will tug at your heart strings particularly hard and you'll know right away =) The halfmoons aren't that expensive at petco, only about $12 (atleast that's what it says on the website). If you wanted one a bit cheaper, i think they sell them for 8 or 10 at petsmart, and they are just as pretty as the ones at petco. But petsmart doesn't have as good of a selection of females XP
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #4 
Leeniex

Depends, my petsmart has much better fish than petco and the HM's were 7.99 I think. Of course the "HM" I bought was actually a mislabeled delta, LOL.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Depends, my petsmart has much better fish than petco and the HM's were 7.99 I think. Of course the "HM" I bought was actually a mislabeled delta, LOL.
lol !! this is soo true .. i think all the petsmart one's that label them HM are really deltas .. so far .. i haven't seen a real HM in any petsmart i've been to .. but it's not like petsmart will know the differences .. they just go by what their told when they buy them .. which is kinda sad really .. @_@

@titus
the way you let the betta choose you is kinda when you get those moments .. where your just looking at all of them .. and then you see there's "the one" .. just there swimming looking at you .. and u get that love love feeling and you just know it .. he's the one ur gonna take home ..

what i've done in the past were to pull out all the healthy ones and put them on the top shelf .. and just stand there for like 10 minutes watching all of them .. and see which one is "the one" .. you'll know it when u see him .. it's like love .. you'll just know ^_^
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #6 
titusthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
lol !! this is soo true .. i think all the petsmart one's that label them HM are really deltas .. so far .. i haven't seen a real HM in any petsmart i've been to .. but it's not like petsmart will know the differences .. they just go by what their told when they buy them .. which is kinda sad really .. @_@

@titus
the way you let the betta choose you is kinda when you get those moments .. where your just looking at all of them .. and then you see there's "the one" .. just there swimming looking at you .. and u get that love love feeling and you just know it .. he's the one ur gonna take home ..

what i've done in the past were to pull out all the healthy ones and put them on the top shelf .. and just stand there for like 10 minutes watching all of them .. and see which one is "the one" .. you'll know it when u see him .. it's like love .. you'll just know ^_^
Not a bad idea. :) Although there is also a Petsmart and a small pet store (that carries all VTs) within very close proximity of the Petco, so we'll probably be heading to all of them before I decide.

I don't think the HMs were priced 7.99 at this Petco. I think they were either 8.99 or 11.99, but I can't remember. The one time i was there, they labelled a HMPK as a HM, so that wasn't too bad of them. :P Not that I would mind a delta, because they're cool, too. I saw this nice Cambodian delta at the Petsmart. I think he was 6.99.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #7 
Leeniex

I chose my two because they gave me the most attitude when I picked them up. Love a feisty fish.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #8 
titusthebetta

So I just called both the Petco and Petsmart about their pricing. HMs at Petco are $12.99 and at Petsmart they're $6.99. They also have dragon scales at Petsmart. So this will make for an interesting search.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

be careful at petsmart .. a lot of their bettas are labeled HM .. even ones that are double tail and delta's .. and plakats are also cupped in HM labels .. sometimes even girls are mistaken for boys there .. somtimes spade tails are mislabeled as veiltails .. but it's rare to find a spade tail @_@ .. crowntails seem to be the only one's that are labeled correctly

petco seems to have their bettas labeled a little better then petsmart .. but recently i've noticed they've been getting younger and younger bettas that are really small and haven't really developed their fins or colors yet .. so it might be hard to tell if your looking for a specific tail type

good luck ^_^ .. i know whichever you pick will be the perfect boy/girl for you !! and don't forget to post pictures when u get a chance =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #10 
titusthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
be careful at petsmart .. a lot of their bettas are labeled HM .. even ones that are double tail and delta's .. and plakats are also cupped in HM labels .. sometimes even girls are mistaken for boys there .. somtimes spade tails are mislabeled as veiltails .. but it's rare to find a spade tail @_@ .. crowntails seem to be the only one's that are labeled correctly

petco seems to have their bettas labeled a little better then petsmart .. but recently i've noticed they've been getting younger and younger bettas that are really small and haven't really developed their fins or colors yet .. so it might be hard to tell if your looking for a specific tail type

good luck ^_^ .. i know whichever you pick will be the perfect boy/girl for you !! and don't forget to post pictures when u get a chance =D
So I've heard. I'll definitely be on the lookout for mislabeling, and hopefully with this last month of preparation I can tell the difference between the different bettas.

The only thing I'm 100% decided on is that I want a male, and while I'd prefer a HM, this apparently isn't up for me to decide anymore. It's for the fish to decide. :) Thanks for the advice everyone, and I'll post pictures of my new fishy friend as soon as I get him.