Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #31 
Pitluvs

Mine are in a 29g, I need them for sand and can't find assassins. Those are the snail to have!

Apple snails need a mate, pest snails do not :)
Quote:
There are a few things to be considered to successfully breed apple snails: - Since apple snails are gonochoristic (separated sexes), a male and a female snail are needed(obvious). - Applesnails reproduce when the temperature rises in combination with abundance of food available. - For those species that lay their eggs above the water, one should provide enough air space (+15cm/6 inch). - Some species might need an aestivation period in themud beforethey breed successfully (does not apply to the most common species).

It is also important to mention that female apple snails can store sperm for months, so even the eggsof a singlesnailcan befertile.With no malesnail present, female apple snails occasionally produce infertile eggs. Obviously, these do no hatch. Last but not least: most species lay their eggs above the water and they should stay there while the eggs of aquatic layers should stay below the surface. At the right circumstances an apple snail can produce one clutch of eggs every 4-7 days during several weeks. After this period, productivity decreases and the female snail regains strength. The species, temperature and availabilityof food are the main factors in the egg production.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #32 
Sena Hansler

Actually from what I was taught apple snails cannot breed by themselves. unlike many snails, they actually do need a partner apparently. So like the post before me, that is right :) Apples are actually a bit harder to breed, and do not breed in any condition of water. Here in my town, if your apple snails breed people will sell their limbs for those apple snail babies!!! Here, that is how rare they breed. (exageration, but not far off)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote