Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #1 
Miyazawa

amount of betta food?

Someone told me that i should feed him 4 pellets a day...but i bought Hikari Betta Bio-Gold and it told me to feed 2-4 pellets 2 to 3 times a day.....what's a good amount of meal a day and pellets per meal? Thanks in advance :D
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #2 
Banicks

Hi Miyazawa,

It is recommend that you do not exceed 2-3 pellets a day. Their stomach is roughly the size of their eye.

I will feed Victor 1 pellet in the morning, and 1 pellet in the evening to spread meals out.

Overfeeding can cause constipation and in extreme cases cause death.

:)
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Generally tank size, temperature, and activity dictates how much your betta can take in before having too much.

I'd say 4 pellets is a good amount daily for lazy to regular activity in bettas so long as the temperature range is 76-80 degrees. If your betta is extremely active, has a lot of space, and the temperature is still in the preferred zone, I'd say you could feed it 6-8 pellets maximum.

Some bettas are able to eat more than others without issues as well.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 
Miyazawa

you guys are very helpful! thank you soo much :D
Miyazawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #5 
Myates

Mine eat 6 a day.. and more if allowed. Don't give in to them begging! Pata has the right info =)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 
Bresn

I have that pellet is best to feed 2-3 twice a day.
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:23 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine eat 2-3 twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 
Hooperman42

My shop which is one of the best in Orlando feed their betas and suggest I do the same TWO pellets. I do it in the AM. He struts up to the top right corner... kicks em around a it....spits em out... till they get softer and then gulps em down. OF course he can keep his big mug out of the algae wafer the cory cats get but seems to be doing just fine in his 20 gallon kingdom of live plants. TWO PELLETS. And by the way... they even said if you skip a day no worries. And I dont have any as of now.
Hooperman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #9 
newarkhiphop

i feed 2-3 x 2-3 times a day with a day of no feeding once a every two weeks
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooperman42 View Post
My shop which is one of the best in Orlando feed their betas and suggest I do the same TWO pellets. I do it in the AM. He struts up to the top right corner... kicks em around a it....spits em out... till they get softer and then gulps em down. OF course he can keep his big mug out of the algae wafer the cory cats get but seems to be doing just fine in his 20 gallon kingdom of live plants. TWO PELLETS. And by the way... they even said if you skip a day no worries. And I dont have any as of now.
Stores won't feed their bettas as much as should because it fouls up the little cups a lot faster. The stores can get away with it because the fish are either sold quickly, or die quickly. But for their forever homes, two pellets a day only is pretty much starving them. They aren't getting the right amount of nutrients, protein and in time you will see them get skinny and malnourished. Normally 4-6, but for larger fish or when using very small pellets, 8 a day, spread out is the ideal amount. If you feed them ideally, you can skip a day for them. It's common and many recommend fasting them a day a week. But if feeding them so little, 2 pellets, I wouldn't.
You don't want them eating the wafers.. best to feed the wafers just as you place the betta food in, or before/after you turn the tank light on/off.
Imagine just being fed bare minimum one time a day.. you'd be so hungry by nightfall and these are fish that LOVE to eat.

(I believe you are saying you feed him only 2 a day.. hard to tell with your post)

Last edited by Myates; 10-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote