Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #10351 
CodeRed

I want an Aussie, but I'd NEVER have one with kids. Their herding instinct is too strong and most of the ones I've met tend to nip a little bit... a good dog for someone who can take the time to give them the exercise they need, but definitely not a dog for families.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #10352 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
Of course some breeds do have weariness and aggresion bred into them, it's like a Bettas instinct. But most dogs, unless trained or rabid, won't go up ad kill a toddler for the hell of it. Sorry if that cane off as rude, it wasn't suppose to.
I'm not trying to pick at you but this brings me to something else I always feel needs to be said.

No dog, no matter what, bites without reason. There are always subtle signs even if the person doesn't pick up on them. Rabid dogs and the very very small percentage of dogs with severe mental issues aside (because let's face it, both of those populations are practically negligible in most bite cases).

The sad fact is that most people don't know how to read a dog.. they don't notice that subtle stiffening, lip licking, eye rolling, and posturing that happens seconds before a bite, some even ignore warning signs like growls.

Which brings me to yet another point. Don't EVER tell your dog not to growl (you in general). I know people who tell their dog to stop that and try to train it out of them. Never make your dog feel like it can't express itself when it is uncomfortable. That is how "unprovoked" attacks happen... but like I said.. no attack is unprovoked.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #10353 
dramaqueen
Banned

My nasty neighbor across the street who thinks she's an expert on dogs says you shouldn't let your dog bark and growl at people. Another neighbor whom I petsat for has a cocker spaniel and he will bark and growl at people he doesn't know. His owner told me she doesn't correct him when he does this. One day I was walking him and he barked and growled at another neighbor as he was getting his mail from his mailbox. I didn't try to correct him, I just kept walking.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #10354 
HatsuneMiku

hmm .. how do i figure out what my dog is barking at ? .. sometimes she goes crazy barking at something in the yard.. so i'll go outside and try to look at what she's barking at .. but the moment she sees me she'll stop barking and come running over all happy to see me .. then i ask her what she's barking at .. and she'll look at the corner ... and i'll go there to see .. but there'll be nothing there (once there was a skunk chilling behind the shed) .. then after i look i'll pet her and she'll follow me inside .. but not more then 1-2 mins will pass she'd go bark at the thing she was barking at again .. she seems to do it at around the same evening time every day ... @_@ .. how do i train her to show me ?

oh *side note* for those that were on the dog thread.. i got her to do "down" =D yay!! =) but she still kinda guesses between sit and down @_@ .. almost =) almost ..
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #10355 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatsuneMiku View Post
hmm .. how do i figure out what my dog is barking at ?

I wish I knew. I just love when mine barks at the door in the middle of the night. I always picture a big guy with a knife about to walk in and kill me.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 AM   #10356 
diablo13

I actually don't stop her from growling. I'm perfectly fine with it, she's telling the other dog to back off. It's the other dogs owner I get pissed at.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #10357 
CrowntailTwitchy57

i hate big dogs when they're outside and not on a leash... one big dog came barking and running out at me and it freaked me out.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #10358 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'd be scared, too. I hate it when dogs aren't on a leash.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #10359 
diablo13

I know.....and the owners around here are idiots. I have this park next to me, and it's suppose to be for my neighborhood, and we have a leash law. So the people from the next neighborhood come with their dogs( like labs, off leases) and then that dog comes up to us a Daisy goes beserk, and they just yell " Dont Worry, my dogs friendly!" -____-
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #10360 
CrowntailTwitchy57

well after the owner called her (huge) dog back after charging towards me, she's all "he's just a pup!" i'm thinking: "so?!?! he nearly ATE me!" >:(
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou