Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #1 
Micho

Red Cherry Shrimps?

I made this thread because I am not planning to put them with my Betta / community tank once I solve the nitrite/nitrate mystery. Anyways, I have a spare two gallon Fluval Spec right now, and I'm considering putting some Red Cherry Shrimps in there.

The reason is that I would like to try this first while my 10 gallon issue is being resolved. So, does anyone have experience with a tank just for red cherry shrimps? I would like to get some insight. I've read that they like plants so I'm planning to tie some java moss onto my cave and a marimo moss ball. Since it comes with an LED light, this tank will be low-light.

How many RCS would you recommend in a two gallon, filtered, and heated, apparently they reproduce like bunnies when the conditions are met. The more the better.

So yeah any help would be appreciated.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #2 
gmd1800

Bumping because I think this is really interesting. I'm considering starting one myself.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Shrimp only tanks are pretty easy and fun to keep......usually they will be fine without any added heat or filtration if you have live plants...they love moss and bushy type plants......A nice little soil based planted tank sitting near a window-a water change on occasion, feed a couple of times a week, keep the nitrates really low and don't use any ferts and the RCS will generally reproduce like crazy.....add at least 2-3 males and 2-3 berried female and you should have 20-30 or more in a few months.....they don't eat their young like the ghost shrimp will do...interesting little critters to keep and pretty too.....along with the reds you have several different colors of the same species....I have both the reds and yellows.... they have white, green, blue and some other colors I think....but you don't want to mix them together or you can muddy the color strain....
Like most shrimp...they have a short lifespan....2-3 years....but when properly kept-you won't miss the ones that expired-since they will be replaced fairly quick due to fast reproduction.....
I may have some pics of some of my red and yellow shrimp in my album if you would like to see them......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #4 
gmd1800

What about stocking? I know shrimp have almost no bioload, but how many shrimp is too much?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

You want to start with a few of each sex and let nature take its course....lol.....-it doesn't take long to establish a healthy breeding colony of RCS.....as they populate the shrimp only tank-move some to your other tanks for population control.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
Micho

I couldn't find any pictures in your album OFL. . . But you have beautiful tanks, that's for sure.

Anyways, I've been thinking about moving my Fluval Spec downstairs to my living room because there's no space in my bedroom, I'll try to select some berried females from my FPS, but RCS are so expensive there. They're $4.99 for one, more expensive than regular fish, quite a shock to be honest. I was thinking of getting a marimo moss ball or just getting a huge bunch of java moss. . Since my tank will be pretty low-light considering I'll be using a LED light, there's no natural sun these days because winter is coming. . Natural sunlight only occurs for an hour or two, and it's not even that bright. ;_____;

So yeah thanks OFL, I'll pick up some soil, no fertilizer/no additives/organic soil right? What do you do when a RCS dies? Do they eat each other or should I remove them? Also I'm wondering what to feed them, regular vegetables? I heard they eat about almost anything, so I have bloodworms if they like to nom on that too.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

They are mostly scavengers and will eat about anything and a bit of algae...not much but will graze on it and the microorganism that feed in the algae....I usually drop a tiny piece of algae waffer in their tank 1-2 times a week
Dead bodies-I remove them if more than one and I will remove that one after a day or so if they haven't eaten all of it.....

They also molt their exoskeleton on a regular basis and it is best to leave at least 1 of them in the tank for them to feed on as well-this provide lots of minerals for good exoskeleton growth.....

I would setup a small shrimp only tank 1-2gal-no filter-handful or two of sifted dirt with half inch of fine sand on top-small piece of wood with java moss tied to it-a sag or val or any grass like plant...micro sword will work too and some other type of stem plant-like water wisteria, rotala, ludwigia, hygrophilia and a floating plant like water lettuce-make water change until the water is clear-acclimate the shrimp to the chemistry and temp...just get one berried female since they are so expensive...make a 25% weekly water only change...use the best light you can and even without the sun-the outside light will help some if you placed it by/in a window......just monitor the temp and keep in at least 68F and under 90F......enjoy.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-02-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #8 
Silverfang

how well do they fare in larger tanks with other possible predatory fish? I wanted some cherries, but started with ghosts first, just to be safer if they all went flop.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #9 
caitic10

I was considering getting a fluval spec aswell. Are shrimp social? Can I keep one by itself?
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #10 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
how well do they fare in larger tanks with other possible predatory fish? I wanted some cherries, but started with ghosts first, just to be safer if they all went flop.
I remember reading somewhere that if there are fishes that have a mouth big enough to eat one, they will. These shrimps are fairly tiny, the most big they can get up to is 1 ~ 1.5inch. Also if the female RCS feels scared, she won't reproduce unless you have cover. . So yeah. I've seen a Betta eat a ghost shrimp, choked on it and died. They can easily make RCS as snacks so I wouldn't recommend any fish that can easily fit a RCS in their mouth with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitic10 View Post
I was considering getting a fluval spec aswell. Are shrimp social? Can I keep one by itself?
I think they are, so consider getting 2-3 males and females, they'll reproduce if it's just them. . If the conditions are met and they thrive you'll have around 30 in a months time. .

Anyways, went to my FPS today. Got a small piece of driftwood, planning to get more small pieces. . Met the best worker there, they're not allowed to sell small pieces of driftwood that are located in their tanks. But he said he'll sneak me some, along with some hair algae free of charge. I haven't bought any RCS yet though. I'm planning to get a moss ball and more small pieces of driftwood and tying either java moss or more hair algae onto them.