Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #1 
diamond_72387

Male and female!

We bought two betas today, a male crown beta and a female. The care list from the store said they would be ok together in the same tank, just as long as the female was smaller and had smaller fins. I don't have any plants yet and he keeps darting towards her. Is this parting of the mating process or is he trying to kill her? Should she be removed or will plants help?
diamond_72387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: Male and female!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond_72387
We bought two betas today, a male crown beta and a female. The care list from the store said they would be ok together in the same tank, just as long as the female was smaller and had smaller fins. I don't have any plants yet and he keeps darting towards her. Is this parting of the mating process or is he trying to kill her? Should she be removed or will plants help?
Welcome to Fishforum.com, Diamond.

I would certainly not mix the male and female. If the female refuses to spawn or they finish spawning, she will be killed by the male. The male is best kept by himself unless you are ready to breed them which will require constant monitoring.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #3 
Butch the Red knight

I thought that too but then my female suffured fin loss so i had to take her out and tend her back to health
Butch the Red knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:26 AM   #4 
sillypony

Also- if you are planning on breeding them, keep in mind that you are going to have hundreds of fry, and you'll have to separate the males out into their own individual containers for months while they grow up, which means a LOT of tanks/bowls to water change weekly/daily (depending on size) And make sure you have people to take all those babies before you start- a lot of LFS won't give you enough money for the fry to make it worth your while.

Good Luck

LeeAnna
sillypony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #5 
beetlebz

what size tank are they in? if its a good size id take the male back and get another female or two, but im biased. i love my female bettas :D
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote