Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2011, 01:44 AM   #1 
SassyBetta

OMG hes eating his tail what is going on?

why is he eating his tail, obsidian my ct looks like his back tail is just shreaded:( its not fin rot cuz theres no black decay and the other fish doesnt have it. :(( :(( :(( what do i do

Last edited by SassyBetta; 10-02-2011 at 01:56 AM.
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #2 
SassyBetta

plz :( someone help i dont want him to hurt himself :(
Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Sob in frustration and threaten to flush him if he doesn't stop?

I have three severe tail biters and it is the most frustrating thing ever watching them destroy their beautiful caudal fins.

Unfortunately, tail biting is something you can't really prevent. Some fish will have certain stressors that cause them to bite, others may do it once or twice in their lives, while for some, it will become a compulsive behaviour.

The only thing you can do is offer pristine water and a high-protein diet to encourage regrowth.

IAL extract and aquarium salt can be used to prevent secondary infection, but I've had good regrowth even without this.

A lot of bettas prefer an enriching outside environment. Moving Obsidian to a high-traffic area might provide enough stimulation that it keeps him from biting himself.

Some people recommend moving around the decor on a regular basis, but I've found this hasn't had any impact on mine. I've found it to be more of a hyper/misdirected aggression problem than simple boredom.

One of my males will bite if he is in constant eyesight of another betta. Therefore, I keep him carded and only allow short 5 minute flare sessions every so often so that he isn't constantly feeling stressed.

Hopefully your boy will heal up nicely and be one of those males for who it is a one off occasion. It looks ugly and painful, but as long as there's no infection, it doesn't pose any serious long-term risks.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #4 
bettaluvies

you got a fin biter (a betta that bites his fins) by the looks of it. what size is your tank and what deco do you have? he may have shreeded his fins on some sharp deco, but it sounds more like hes been biting them. im no expert but i understand that mostly they bite their fins wen theyre stressed or not happy with their enviroment. does he have lots of plants/hiding places? you can try dim (not switch off) the tank lights during the day, and then switch off a bit earlier than usual, it may calm him down a bit. may sound weird but maybe (if its really brighht coloured, or white) change your gravel to black, this may also help calm him down, but i doubt it would be a major factor. the main thing is hiding places, he needs them. make youre tank isnt to bare or open. he may also appreciate it if you cover all but on of the tanks sides with paper, preferably dark. the point of all this is to make him feel more secure. he doesent have any other fish in sight does he? if so try and change it. it would be vastly helpful if you post a pic, of him, and his setup.

has his behaviour changed in any other way besides the fin biting?
bettaluvies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #5 
SassyBetta

ok to bettaluvies

his set up consists of a split 10 gallon tank ( but the reason i think hes stressed is cuz of the fact that he was my first and because of that he had all 10 gallons to himself at one point befor i split it , i think hes stressed about the loss of space < and i feel bad i didnt think about it till way later :( ) he has 3 soft silk plants of varing hights and a nice betta cave made from a coffy cup. this is also true with the other side of the tank that houses my vt betta pomidor. they can see each other but they dont really ever flare at each other, just 2 days ago pomidor flared at obsidian and then i noticed his shreaded tail,
Old 10-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #6 
Bambi

Boredom, stress, or if the tail is too long(gets bothered bythewater current caused by filters) are all reasons a betta may chew. In the same way some people chew their nails.

Sometimes changing thing around will reduce boredom...but it may also lead to stress.

If stress in the issue don't change anything except adding more cover along the divider so they can't see each other. This really should have been done from the start when you divided it.

Is he on the side where the filter is(if you have one)?

Pictures would help alot.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyBetta View Post
ok to bettaluvies

his set up consists of a split 10 gallon tank ( but the reason i think hes stressed is cuz of the fact that he was my first and because of that he had all 10 gallons to himself at one point befor i split it , i think hes stressed about the loss of space < and i feel bad i didnt think about it till way later :( ) he has 3 soft silk plants of varing hights and a nice betta cave made from a coffy cup. this is also true with the other side of the tank that houses my vt betta pomidor. they can see each other but they dont really ever flare at each other, just 2 days ago pomidor flared at obsidian and then i noticed his shreaded tail,
I would say it's definitely the presence of the other male, rather than the loss of space that is causing Obsidian to tail bite.

Even if you don't see them flare at each other often, it could be that Obsidian is naturally submissive and so there's not that constant battle for dominance between them.

However, if that's the case, Obsidian could be feeling vulnerable and this is what is causing him to bite his tail.

You could try moving the silk plants so that they run down the divider on both sides to provide a visual obstruction if you haven't already done so. One out of 30 of my bettas regularly uses his PVC pipe cave, and I've found plant cover to be much more important in reducing stress.

Floating plants are especially favoured by my less aggressive bettas to hide in. That way Obsidian might feel like he has somewhere to go that he feels safe.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #8 
SassyBetta

well ok so theres another update in this story, my other fish pomidor is showing signs of the same thing, im thinking that he came with finrot when i bought him. he had black trim on his caudal fin when i got him and it wasnt really getting any bigger or spreading so i thought it might just be a new color poping up. but when i woke up this morning. all the black was gona and it was replaced by rips in his VT fin. so yeah im thinking he came with the desease and it hit obsidian fist because his tail is already all split and what not cuz hes a CT. and now its eating away at my VT pomidor. sooo i guess i need to know how to treat fin rott/ melt or whatever the proper name of that is. what do i need to do to the plants and gravel and whatnot since my tank is nicely cycled.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Clean water and Aquarium salt treats fin rot. 1 tsp per gallon i do beleive. It is easier to put them in to something smaller to make daily water changes easier. 10 days is the max you want to keep them in the salt water though, or so people on here say. Also if you have live plants, the salt probably isnt so good for them. You can use a 1 gallon milk jug to make measurements easier. one or two gallon storage containers work well and are cheap
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote