Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #11 
metalbetta

Ouch, that looks really bad. I've dealt with similar infections, nothing this severe, but I can tell you from my own experience that this fish is most likely beyond help at this point. I understand how you feel and that you want to do what you can to help, but he definitely looks like he's in a lot of pain and under a lot of stress, and medications will probably only cause more pain and stress. To me it seems like it would be in Blue's best interest to be put out of his misery. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #12 
cajunamy
Banned

I'm sorry but I have to agree with P3 here, you can see through methylene blue, you'd be able to notice his dorsal fin is completely gone at the least...

What's done is done though. Medicate as Pew suggested, or put him down humanely if you can.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #13 
Laki

How is he today? Any recent pics?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #14 
aurasoulful

I've been reading through this thread.. Poor Blue, I hope he get's well soon
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #15 
Larsa

Looks like a serious fin rot that lead to some fungus growth on the body. Looks pretty severe. Have you been doing your water changes with conditioner? This is likely from bad bad water quality. Prime conditioner works well and it removes some harmfull substances to fish and drops ammonia, ph, nitrates, and some other chems plus provides a nice stress coat.

For treatment quarantine him in a separate container asap. Those cups bettas come in work ok and so do one gallons but a daily water change is needed. Pre-mix his warm conditioned quarantine water with either Tetracycyline by API or you can use Maracyn II. These are more appropriate for advanced situations than aquarium salt. Dont add him in until the water solution is mixed thoroughly! I wouldnt use epsom salt or aquarium salt as its not gonna do much. Daily water change is nessesary so re-medicate his new water daily. Keep that water super clean!!!! Also please dont try to pick his fungus off!!!

For his original tank I would clean everything in it with super hot water-no soap- to kill any bacteria that could get into his wound and make him sicker.

***You may, optional, use a tiny amount of aloe vera- talking not more than a lil dap to relieve stress. If you do, make sure the ingredients are ONLY ale vera- not " aloe vera with vitamin E, lotion, or whatever. That literally what the main ingredients are in stress coat is, concentrated and water dilluted aleo vera :)

Maracyn II $7 for 8 treatments Petsmart
Tetracycyline $14 for 10 treatments Petsmart

Good luck with Blue :( hope he recovers soon !!! <3

Last edited by Larsa; 10-02-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #16 
Help BLUE

Thank you Everyone so much for all your help, advice and concern. It's been several days and I've been changing the water daily with the water a little warmer than normal. Also adding the conditioner, and altering between the fungus med and Meth Blue. I'm So HAPPY he's geeting better. The infection is healing, the wound is shrinking, his fin is growing back! And he's more active, he really is hanging in there!! Will Post Pics Soon! Thank you SO MUCH and Please continue to keep his healing in your thoughts :) Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!! Everyone is so wonderful for helping! I am so grateful.
Help BLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #17 
aurasoulful

YAAY!! Go Blue!! :D
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #18 
SassyBetta

id like to just put my lil comment in here for some of the previouse posters, not all of us start out as the best fish keepers in the world, im sure some of you have all accidentaly harmed a fish in ur lifetime, may it be an expensive fish or ur first goldfish u got when u were 8. Its always best to keep in mind that the person here wanting to save their fish is obviously sad and worried about their pet. while trying to give them the best information is obviously a mission of this site, it might be better to do so in a nicer manner.

Ps. i really hope that blue gets better, im going through something of the same at the moment my two boys have fin rot purdy bad at the moment , even with my very strict water shedual, one had carried it from the LPS, but with the help from the posters on this site i know how to make them better. soo i really hope ur fishie pulls through and makes a stead fast recovery

Last edited by SassyBetta; 10-02-2011 at 10:36 PM.
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #19 
Larsa

yay! =D Im glad to hear that!!! Best of luck with Blue.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #20 
tpocicat

It's good to hear Blue is getting better. He is getting rather old, so I didn't hold out much hope for him.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick beta