Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
Vanah
New Member
 
Vanah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Question Snail help! Which snails are good?

Apple snails, mystery snails, ramshorn snails, assassin snails, trumpet snails, pond snails, and nerite snails... OH MY!

I've never had snails. I want to have them. They're cute and make good company for small betta habitats. Smaller plecos still need more room, corys need groups, and loaches need both.

So here's what I've got and what I'm looking for:
~10G divided in half with a glass cover, so a snail or two that would be good for each 5G space with a small amount of detritus to eat in addition to sinking foods or veggies but would leave my java ferns and anubias alone

~5.5G with a standard hood (I could get a glass lid to go under if necessary) looking for a larger snail who will again leave my java fern be and be happy with detritus, sinking foods, & veggies

I've done a bunch of research but I'm getting all kinds of mixed opinions and "facts" on who eats plants, who's a pest and who isn't, etc. I know there are some really knowledgeable people here and I'd like you guys' advice on which snails are better in general and also what's better for what I want so I get the right kind.

Last edited by Vanah; 10-06-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #2 
TL1000RSquid
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanah View Post
Apple snails, mystery snails, ramshorn snails, assassin snails, trumpet snails, pond snails, and nerite snails... OH MY!

I've never had snails. I want to have them. They're cute and make good company for small betta habitats. Smaller plecos still need more room, corys need groups, and loaches need both.

So here's what I've got and what I'm looking for:
~10G divided in half with a glass cover, so a snail or two that would be good for each 5G space with a small amount of detritus to eat in addition to sinking foods or veggies but would leave my java ferns and anubias alone

~5.5G with a standard hood (I could get a glass lid to go under if necessary) looking for a larger snail who will again leave my java fern be and be happy with detritus, sinking foods, & veggies

I've done a bunch of research but I'm getting all kinds of mixed opinions and "facts" on who eats plants, who's a pest and who isn't, etc. I know there are some really knowledgeable people here and I'd like you guys' advice on which snails are better in general and also what's better for what I want so I get the right kind.
What substrate will you be using? MTS are good if you have sand they keep it stirred up so it doesnt get compacted or build up gasses, you'll also rarely see them out during the day they come out after dark, they won't harm healthy plant leaves. Nerites are also nice, they have some interesting looking designs on their shells, they won't breed out of control they may lay egg's but the egg's can't hatch in freshwater. I've had mystery snails before they never harmed anything but they breed like rabbits.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #3 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
I hear apple snails need a mate to reproduce so you won't be overrun. I'm subbing this thread so I can learn more about them too :) I think I might get a snail for Laki's tank.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 
VikingPrincess
Member
 
VikingPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland
I have an apple snail. They do eat live plants though,so if you have live plants and don't want them destroyed...then maybe an apple is not the best idea?

I give mine pellets and discs as a staple and he also eats algae and any flakes or bloodworms that fall to the bottom. I plan on trying him on lettuce tonight. Also my betta is fascinated by my snail. He always hangs around the snail and actually will watch the snail when he's on the move.

VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 
VikingPrincess
Member
 
VikingPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Oh and on another note...I would also avoid ramshorn snails. I had a couple before (years ago) and a couple turned into hundreds. They infested my tanks and I had a hard time getting rid of them. Unless you got just one...but they are small so I don't see the point in having just one because it might get lost. They breed like rabbits though!
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #6 
Foisair
New Member
 
Foisair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kirkland, WA
I've had an apple snail (which is often labeled as a mystery snail at petstores) and he was a lot of fun. He produced a lot of waste for his size though. He was very fun to watch. Being that he was bigger (his shell being about as big around as a quarter) I could see his mouth eating when he was on the side of the glass. Bettas tend to eat the antenne of apple snails. Overall, he was very fun to watch but the cons outweighed the pros for me.

I've been looking into getting some MTS's since I changed the substrate in my planted tank to sand. Although I'm still a little nervious about the idea. Since they don't need a mate to reproduce, you could end up with a lot of them in no time. I have read that they only reproduce if there's enough food to feed everyone though. So theoreticly, they shouldn't overrun the tank if you don't feed them too much. I'm also afraid that if I do get too many, I won't be able to get rid of them if I want.

I would love to learn more about these little guys as well so I will be watching this topic as well. ^_^
Foisair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #7 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ll-158955.html

I think this might help :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #8 
SassyBetta
New Member
 
SassyBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
im gona be getting a nerite snail and another betta for my new 5g in a week or so. they dont breed allot cuz they like brackish salty water for breeding and i think i read somewhere that they live birth so in theory if thats correct u could just scoop out the babys,,, if that is true tho. they also have such cool shells i really like them and they are as cute as a button :P they also stay relitivly small-ish.
SassyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #9 
TL1000RSquid
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foisair View Post
I've been looking into getting some MTS's since I changed the substrate in my planted tank to sand. Although I'm still a little nervious about the idea. Since they don't need a mate to reproduce, you could end up with a lot of them in no time. I have read that they only reproduce if there's enough food to feed everyone though. So theoreticly, they shouldn't overrun the tank if you don't feed them too much. I'm also afraid that if I do get too many, I won't be able to get rid of them if I want.

I would love to learn more about these little guys as well so I will be watching this topic as well. ^_^
I have MTS in a few tanks, never had any problem with them getting out of control. Then again its hard to say how many are in each tank since they rarely come out when the lights are on, and they don't all always come out even when its dark if I shine a light in the tank at night I might only see 1-2 out or I may see 10. They're also the only snail that none of my betta's have ever harassed they'll come over and inspect it and thats about all. I've one betta that's harassed mystery snails to death.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #10 
TL1000RSquid
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyBetta View Post
im gona be getting a nerite snail and another betta for my new 5g in a week or so. they dont breed allot cuz they like brackish salty water for breeding and i think i read somewhere that they live birth so in theory if thats correct u could just scoop out the babys,,, if that is true tho. they also have such cool shells i really like them and they are as cute as a button :P they also stay relitivly small-ish.
Nerites can lay eggs in the tank but the eggs will not hatch in freshwater. If they do just scoop out the eggs and throw them out. Some fish might eat the eggs too.
TL1000RSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.