Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #11 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
No Tetras, please. They might be okay, but I believe they need at least 15 gallons and a school fo 6 to shoal properly.

I reccomend Ghost Shrimp. I love thm! And in that great big tank, I doubt he would care, and even if he did they could hide.

I do not reccomend Cories. They need at least 20 gallons for a shoal of 4. Pygmys, though, are okay. You can get 6.

What about a snail? Funny little critters they are!

Probably should practice what you preach before trying to give stocking advise.

ANYWAY... Other members on this forum are more informed than i am, but you could do pygmy cories, shrimp of any kind (except bamboo, since they need a very well established tank to thrive) otos, tetras (neon, glo-light, and blacklight are all the same pretty much. I have had all and they work well with bettas), feeder guppies, and others that have been mentiones. These are just what i have had. You can also do khuli loaches or african dwarf frogs. :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #12 
Aluyasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post

ANYWAY... Other members on this forum are more informed than i am, but you could do pygmy cories, shrimp of any kind (except bamboo, since they need a very well established tank to thrive) otos, tetras (neon, glo-light, and blacklight are all the same pretty much. I have had all and they work well with bettas), feeder guppies, and others that have been mentiones. These are just what i have had. You can also do khuli loaches or african dwarf frogs. :)
How many neon tetras could I have in my 14 gallon? I know they have to be in groups. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #13 
BettaMiah

I think you could pass with 14 gallons if you really kept up with water changes. I really don't think 1 gallon will make a difference. Plus the betta, okay. But still, more water changes.

Plus, they are SO active, that is why they need a lot of space, They are very small fish, but swim a lot.

They NEED at least 6 in a shoal, so at least that. I think that would be good.

Gizmo- I found that kind of rude. What do you mean? I don't own Neons. Or 4 cories, or pygmys. I don't want to get in a 'fight'. I just didn't think that was nessecary. How is Splatter? I still think about him all the time. An hey, once I upgrade, I will have a spare 3 gallon... :3
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #14 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
How many neon tetras could I have in my 14 gallon? I know they have to be in groups. :)

With the betta? Say the betta is three inches including tail, that leaves you 11 gallons to play with as far as stocking goes. Neon are generally only an inch long... So you could have as few as 5, or as many as 10. It is up to you. They need to be in groups of 4 or more, but i like odd numbers for small groups. lol You can also mix the three types, because they will school together from what i have personally seen.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #15 
bettafish15

I have 4 bronze cories in my 14g, and I don't see any problem at all.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #16 
BettaMiah

Cories can get 4 inches, and if they are healthym quite active swimmers.

I don't know. That is just what I have learned and it made sense.

I'll go do some more research.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 AM   #17 
Micho

Really the one inch for one gallon rule can be very loose if you have a very well established tank which is heavily planted plus a good filtration system, just saying.

Neon tetras I would suggest starting with six only, seeing how you have only one Betta in there right now, anymore than six and you'll have an ammonia spike, plus I'm guessing you're not going to QT them you want to wait a couple of weeks before adding more, just in case.

You have a somewhat large variety of fish to choose from, the choice is all up to you.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #18 
BettaMiah

Yeah, you do. Maybe do some research?

Micho explained it really well.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #19 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Really the one inch for one gallon rule can be very loose if you have a very well established tank which is heavily planted plus a good filtration system, just saying.

Neon tetras I would suggest starting with six only, seeing how you have only one Betta in there right now, anymore than six and you'll have an ammonia spike, plus I'm guessing you're not going to QT them you want to wait a couple of weeks before adding more, just in case.

You have a somewhat large variety of fish to choose from, the choice is all up to you.
+1 :3

I only suggested five because i have a thing for odd numbers. X3 Im silly like that. :P
Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #20 
hedgehog

Quote:
Cories can get 4 inches, and if they are healthym quite active swimmers.

I don't know. That is just what I have learned and it made sense.

I'll go do some more research.
There are many, many species of cories most of which only get to be 2.5 inches maximum for females. All the species of cories are different in their personalities and activity levels. If you get your cories from Petco or Petsmart you'll only ever get C. aeneus. These guys aren't super active and mostly just scuttle along the bottom of the tank. They also get less active with age except during spawning in which cause they swim midlevel with each other out of the way of the other cories. You can keep four of these in a ten gallon.

BettaMiah I really believe you have a Brochis splendens which isn't even a cory. These guys get to be 4 inches but most cories don't. This could explain the high activity level you see with your fish. Even so your 'cory' needs to be kept with others of the same species otherwise he will be stressed out and unhappy in his environment no matter how much space he has. Before I knew better I kept one cory with my betta fish and he constantly glass surfed because he was trying to school with his reflection. He seemed super active when I kept him alone but when I put him in a group of four he calmed down and is less stressed. He's rarely ever pale and he's actually had two successful (but unexpected) spawns.

Quote:
Gizmo- I found that kind of rude. What do you mean?
Gizmo was trying to point out that you keep telling everybody not to get cories because they're too active to keep a school in anything under 20 gallons (which is a huge generalization considering how many different cory species there are) but you only keep one 'cory' which is not meeting its needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmothefreaky View Post
I totally agree Gizmo. I tried to tell BettaMiah that her cory needs to be with others of the same species and that he's probably not even a cory and they never responded. It's bad to give inexperienced keepers stocking advice. In this case because they'll be missing out on some seriously awesome fish that they can easily care for.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote