Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #11 
Vanah

Thanks everyone so far for the input. I would honestly LOVE nerites but they're not around here anywhere and I can't find a website with them in stock either. Anyone know a good place to order them? Also I read in another thread that mystery snails are just a smaller variety of apple snails, but that while apple snails turn your plants to salad mystery snails prefer just the dying leaves. Can anyone confirm that?

@TL1000RSquid, I use mixed small & medium rounded natural gravel in my tanks, is that okay for trumpet snails or do they need the sand?
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #12 
GreenTea

I have 3 apple snails and love them. They are so fun to watch and do a great job of cleaning up.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

I have Trumpets, they breed like crazy. I started out with about 25, now I have to remove them by the handfulls. I have pond snails, 2 of them as my fish love to nom on the babies so they don't survive. I have one ramshorn snail in Nixons tank, it never reproduced but that tank is cleaned every three days. And last I have an Apple Snail who is huge and lazy, won't clean algae or food but loves hiim some algae wafers LOL He's one messy dude, gag. If you don't want potential over run, don't get ramshorn, pond, trumpet. Get Apple, Nirite, or Mystery. These don't reproduce on their own.

My personal favorite is Assassins. They breed at a slow rate, keep pest snails out and tunnel in your gravel/sand to eat up food. They also leave plants alone and are peaceful towards fish.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #14 
GreenTea

For full disclosure, I have all my apple snails in a goldfish/platy tank and don't feed them algae wafers, so they keep on the move cleaning my tank for food =]
Old 10-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #15 
Pitluvs

Just to counter that, I've had mine for 2 months and started giving him wafers last week. Meanwhile the tank turned green and the gravel was yucky. This is my tropical tank lol Mine is also an adult, and adult are known to he lazy with cleanup.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #16 
GreenTea

Annddd I should mention my goldfish/platy tank is a forest of java moss so the snails have tons to eat lol I sound like a slavedriver
Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #17 
VikingPrincess

I have seen the MTS in a pet store here and liked the look. But if they breed on their own,I will probably pass on that.

I wish I could find assassin snails here.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #18 
Silverfang

I can see the trail from where my apple ate algae off the leaf of an anubis
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote