Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #1 
April0684

Question Betta questions

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and have a couple of questions. I bought a 1.5g tank a good while back now. I was using it for a ghost shrimp only tank. After awhile they all died off and I put the tank in storage. I was in Walmart though and saw the bettas and have had some when I was in my teens and was thinking about getting my 1.5g back out cleaned up and getting a betta to put in it. The tank is a Tetra brand name and it came with a small hob Whisper filter that I am planning on running for it.

I was wondering if this sounds ok and I know you can't cycle a tank that small so I would be doing more water changes which is fine. How much and how many water changes per week would I need to do for this setup? The tank has a little light hanging over it and it says that it is a low voltage 9-LED light. I have had different fish over the years but have never tried having live plants before. Is there any beginner plants that stay small that could go in this tank with that kind of light? The tank being so small though maybe it would be better to not have any plants in there? If there was a good type of plant how long would the light need to be on per day for it? I know nothing of live plants so any other information I would need on that matter would be appreciated. My last question is for a heater it gets kind of cold in our house during the winter so I would need to get a heater for sure but not sure what type would be good for such a small tank?
April0684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

The 1.5gal filtered tank is fine-especially for the long fin males, however, sometimes the filter can be problematic for the Betta in the smaller tanks....often the water current can be too strong making it hard for the Betta to swim and it can sometimes shred the delicate fins.....but filters are optional for Bettas...so if you find that the filter is too much for him....you can safely remove it and still successfully keep a Betta....

You can establish a nitrogen cycle in a 1.5gal filtered tank, however, due to limited surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize the cycle is not always stable and the tank will still need at least twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality...

In 1.5gal filtered tank-water changes of twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

In 1.5gal unfiltered-water changes of twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality....

Regardless of filter or not.....it is important to not overfeed and to remove uneaten food within a reasonable time.

Live plants are always good even in the smaller tanks-with the LED lights and since the tank is not all that deep to start...low light plants like-java fern, java moss, anubias, naja grass will all work well on a 10-12h/day photoperiod....

Heat-your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range-the slight temp changes from day and night are generally tolerated by a healthy Betta
I use the Tetra brand pre-set 78F heaters in my smaller tanks without any issues-they generally will keep the water within 5-10 degree of what the room temp is...I have also found that the adjustable heater will do the same thing in reguards to the room temp but more in the 5 degree range...more or less..

You do need a thermometer to monitor the water temp in the tank and for the replacement water used for water changes-its important to keep the temp between new and old water within a few degrees between the two

Dechlorinator needs to be dosed for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes as a general rule
Dechlorinator needs to be added to any water used for the Betta if on city water supply

Be sure to properly acclimate the Betta to both water temp and water chemistry when you add them to the new tank water-important when you first get them and when you make 100% water changes and remove the Betta from the tank for the water changes-By adding small amount of the tank water to the holding container over 10-15min or to tolerance
Never add pet shop water to the tank....pour it down the sink or give it to a potted plant.....be sure and use dechlorinator to any water needed if the tank needs a top off after acclimation....

Nutrition-a good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best.....try not to overfeed and it is tempting.....these guys will wag their tail and beg for food-acting as if they are starving to death....Bettas can sometimes be little pigs and eat themselves to illness and/or death....little buggers....lol....

Look forward to pics and hearing more about your Bettas....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-07-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 
April0684

Thanks so much for your reply!

Oh ok, I didn't know that you could cycle a tank that small! Thanks for that information! Do you think I should try to cycle it or since it's such a small tank just go without and do the twice weekly water changes?

Thanks for the list of plants that would work. I am going to check around and see which of those I like the most.

I checked walmart.com and they have the tetra heaters one of them is a 2-15g is that the one you are referring to that you use?

Thanks again for all of the information!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Due to limited surface area the cycle isn't stable so twice weekly water changes are still needed as I explained earlier.....

"You can establish a nitrogen cycle in a 1.5gal filtered tank, however, due to limited surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize the cycle is not always stable and the tank will still need at least twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality..."
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #5 
April0684

Oh ok, thanks! I will be sure to post some pics of my tank and betta when I get one!