Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #1 
BettAy Paige

? about partial water changes

When doing a partial change, say, 50%, when you add the fresh water, how much water conditioner do you treat it with?

I've searched and found conflicting posts about about whether you add the correct amount for the full tank (essentially, a double dose in this scenario), or just treating the new 50% with the recommended amount of chemicals for the amount of new water you are adding.

:sidebar: I know that not using enough conditioner in your tank causes issues, but are there any effects of using too much? I'm not talking like, a whole bottle of Prime, obviously, but I haven't had a chance to buy a dropper yet, so I've been trying to eyeball dosage "drops" and have occasionally added a bit too much by accident...
BettAy Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

As a general rule-you should dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank with partial water changes....

Dechlorinator, not conditioners with add ingredients like aloe vera-will not harm the fish when you dose it for the full volume of the tank-vs-just the amount of replacement water....it will take a lot to overdose causing harm for the livestock, however, too much....like 10x's too much can cause cloudy water or oily look and this can sometimes cause gas exchange issues....too much conditioner with other added ingredients like aloe vera can sometimes cause gas exchange problems for the fish as it build up on the gill filament/lamellae causing the fish to suffocate-this too would require a lot to cause problems for the fish...

Welcome to the forum by the way.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 
BettAy Paige

Thanks so much! I feel like I should bow down before you for all of the helpful information I've learned from your posts alone. It's only been a couple weeks since I adopted my new betta and I feel like I've come miles from buying the silly "starter" 0.5 gal (free divider included! *eyeroll*), kit from Petsmart. Thankfully, this site probably saved his life or, at the very, least improved the quality of it by leaps and bounds.

I am using Prime on my 3 gallon, filtered, noncycled, heated tank. Is conditioner, stress coat, or any other additive/treatment for that matter, needed to be incorporated into his water?

He's in seemingly good health, with a few curled tail fins, and I haven't noticed any symptoms signs of stress, even with his tank changes, and he's got a very healthy appetite, with puppy dog eyes pleading for more every time I approach the tank. When it doesn't come (he only gets 6 presoaked, spread out, pellets a day), he gives me a stone cold death glare and sulks in his cave. I swear, his personality is that of an angsty, bratty teenager (which I can't help but find adorable, naturally). But no health issues thus far (fingers crossed), which I have read on here is very lucky when randomly impulse buying from big chain superstores.

Sorry for the novella. It is apparently as easy to ramble on about bettas as it is your kids!
BettAy Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

directions on prime bottle:

Use 2 drops for each 4L (1 US gallon) of new water. This dose removes approximately 1mg/L ammonia, 4mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. May be added to aquarium directly, but is better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base does on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. if temperature is >30C (86F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

^_^ hope that helps
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conditioner, partial water change