Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #21 
Pataflafla

The problem with vases is that they're usually not cleaned often enough and people want to put the plant on top to make it more decorative. the root system of the plant then takes up the top space more than bettas prefer so it gets really cramped really quick. Another issue is heating a vase.

I agree that so long as the vase is large (with a large opening for air surface) and is well kept and heated correctly, it can be a good tank.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 AM   #22 
HatsuneMiku

maybe u could suggest a bigger tank (the umbra fish hotel 1.5g is a nice looking one .. then u can suggest she can put a small vase in the tank as deco to be the betta cave .. best of both worlds ^_^
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #23 
helms97

biorb is the way to go
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #24 
helms97

the pet store people never know anything about bettas
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisia View Post
this one one is round and has 4 different colored LED lights with different lighting modes
this one doesn't have a light, but you can buy them separate, and it's a bit of a different shape
...I have that first one lol. It's nice. Good for looks, and is nice for bettas :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #26 
Laki

If I had a camera in the LPS the other day I would have video taped the sad sad existance of a betta in a vase struggling to the top around the damn bamboo just to breathe.
If that doesn't convince her that she is wrong then I suggest she not obtain a live fish. Fish are live creatures with their own needs and specifications. I think it is a little ignorant and unfair that she would be so insistant on getting a vase. If she wants a vase then let her get it, but don't let her put a live animal in there!!

The problem with bettas and vases is that they require a wide surface area in order to breathe. The taller and narrower the tank the harder it is for them to breathe. The longer the better. It's just an absolute requirement for the fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qohoWdtZeQ This fish is pathetic. Suer it got its color back but he is so listless. I know with time he will earn to live well... I didn't listen to the commentary but I'm sure you should show it to your wife. Also the before and after pics.

Last edited by Laki; 10-09-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #27 
Sena Hansler

Well, I find, that a bowl is better than a vase. Vases are for plants and plants only. They are taller than wide and that sucks for bettas! A bowl, like the 2 gallon one I have, is actually for fish (well.. it was labeled as a goldfish bowl... but it's for bettas...) more than a vase is.

I've seen someone have a lily plant in a large bowl for a betta. But there was room for him to get to the surface, plus they kept the plant trimmed back and the water cleaned. There's ways to do it, and ways you "can" but really shouldn't (to me anyways)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #28 
MistersMom

OMG at Walmart you can buy these ssuper awesome things they ate like a side ways bottle and if you feel its too small then you can add and connect another one to it
!!!!http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...m-1ct/16940369 i wanted one but my mom said NO! lol...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #29 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
OMG at Walmart you can buy these ssuper awesome things they ate like a side ways bottle and if you feel its too small then you can add and connect another one to it
!!!!http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...m-1ct/16940369 i wanted one but my mom said NO! lol...
i have one of those. won it on an auction site. it's a bit less than a gallon(maybe .9 or .8 gallons). we put my mom's CT in it when we moved, so we could empty out his 10 gallon, and the oddball likes it more than his 10 gallon. >.>; maybe he's just one of those bettas that likes smaller tanks...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #30 
MistersMom

lol.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote