Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #1 
Beth

Mean Nasty Guppy

The saga of the mean female guppy continues!

I finally made it to petsmart and got 2 female guppies for the original one. My son named the original Blade. While I was at petsmart I saw a gorgeous red and blue female betta and got her. I had decided to go ahead with some bettas in the 10gal.

So I put the 2 new guppies, the new betta whose name is Allie and the older betta Kimberly in the 10gal.

Blade guppy is so mean that there's been no serious problems with just the 2 female bettas living together. They argued pretty heavy, but with no biting for about 20min. and then seemed to go their way. I see a little chasing now and then between the two but Blade goes after every one she sees so no one else really gets to pick on the other tankmates much. This is the 3rd day that everyone has been in the tank together.

A few minutes ago I yanked that evil little guppy out of the tank and she's sitting in a covered cup for now. On one hand I know she's a guppy, but I swear she's so mean that I'm going to take her to my fish guy and have him absolutely verify that she's a guppy. And of course I will bring her back home. If she had size on her side I'd throw her in the Cichlid tank. I have no doubt she could hold her own in there with all the attitude that she has.

I had put Betty betta in the 10gal but every time someone nipped her fin she just freaked. She would zoom into the side of the tank and then hide behind the filter. That went on for no longer than 15min and I took her out and put her in the 2.5gal. She just seemed so upset when she got nipped. The other girls dart around the tank and act like a normal fish that's being chased. Betty seemed to dart and then freeze once she slammed into something. I don't know. She seems fragile and weak. She acts like a depressed little fish. It really makes me sad but I don't know what else to do for her.

I don't know what on earth I'm going to do with this mean little guppy. I swear my cichlids are not as mean as she is.

Beth
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #2 
tf1265

If you click on the highlighted name Guppy in your post and read the profile, you will learn that guppies and bettas do not make good tank mates. Also, bettas and bettas do not make good tank mates. This is probably why they are all so mean to each other.

Your female bettas each need their own house. Whether they are actively nipping each other is not the only indication of bullying and stress - they release hormones into the water that are signs of aggression. Also, they tend to be more active at night, when you are probably not watching them. Right now the guppy might be mean enough for all of them, but removing the guppy won't eliminate the betta-betta problem.

Guppies are aggressive with certain other fish, and bettas are on that list. Take both bettas out the tank and into their own tanks, and put non-colorful, short-finned community fish in with your guppies. Or even just more guppies.

None of the fish you currently have in that tank are compatible with each other except the 2 guppies (assuming they are both the same gender). If the fish store told you this was OK, they were wrong (they usually are).

I hope that didn't sound too mean. If there is more information that I don't have that makes my advice incorrect, I apologize, but I really do think you need to rethink your tank stocking.

Good luck!
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #3 
Campbell

Two girls shouldn't be housed together. One will bully the other far too much (one dominate and one docile). You need at least four (i'd have 6) to create a sucessful sorority. This way the agression levels out. There are several threads about creating a sucessful sorority, and they will explain in great detail.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #4 
caitic10

As a general rule, bettas should not be kept with other bettas. They do not get lonely, and are fine without tank mates. Sororities, often fail and are only for the advanced Betta hobbyist. Sororities should consist of at least five females, lots of hiding places and no males. Never should male bettas be housed with females, or other males.

Females together in a tank are called sororities. Two females can lead to one or both getting seriously injured. Bettas are aggressive, when females are kept together, one is the boss, the rest are submissive. If there are only two, the submissive one will be picked on.
caitic10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #5 
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1265 View Post
If you click on the highlighted name Guppy in your post and read the profile, you will learn that guppies and bettas do not make good tank mates. Also, bettas and bettas do not make good tank mates. This is probably why they are all so mean to each other.

I'm sorry for vanishing. I suddenly got a lot of work in to do. The majority of what I've read is about male guppies and male bettas being a very bad thing. I have come across posts where people have female bettas with guppies though.

Your female bettas each need their own house. Whether they are actively nipping each other is not the only indication of bullying and stress - they release hormones into the water that are signs of aggression. Also, they tend to be more active at night, when you are probably not watching them. Right now the guppy might be mean enough for all of them, but removing the guppy won't eliminate the betta-betta problem.

I took the guppy out for about 4hrs. for a "time out." I had never done that before but I've read about it many times on various forums. People give the fish a time out, rearrange the tank and add the bully back in. Sometimes that's all that's needed to settle the little terror down. To my surprise it did help the guppy. I've read about the hormones on cichlid forums.

Guppies are aggressive with certain other fish, and bettas are on that list. Take both bettas out the tank and into their own tanks, and put non-colorful, short-finned community fish in with your guppies. Or even just more guppies.

At this point the tank seems so established that I'm going to leave it as is. Everyone is getting along well. The 2 bettas swim together. No flaring, biting or anything negative. I think I may have that rare instance of 2 females actually getting along. I actually had this same thing happen years ago. I didn't know that you're not supposed to house 2 females together so I did. They were best buddies. It's hard to believe I'd get that lucky twice. Of course if things change one will be removed.

With cichlids, if you introduce them when young there is a better chance they might be able to grow up together and live in peace. I wonder if this might be going on with the bettas. Of course sometimes all the young ones get along "until" they mature and then all heck breaks loose.

None of the fish you currently have in that tank are compatible with each other except the 2 guppies (assuming they are both the same gender). If the fish store told you this was OK, they were wrong (they usually are).

I don't listen to fish stores. I know better.

I hope that didn't sound too mean. If there is more information that I don't have that makes my advice incorrect, I apologize, but I really do think you need to rethink your tank stocking.

You don't sound a bit mean. Just concerned. I'll let you guys know if things change and I have to seperate anyone.

Good luck!
Thank you.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #6 
Beth

I was going to do a sorority but then the guppy ax murderer reared her ugly head and things got off track.

I see betta sororities pretty much like a cichlid tank. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
Two girls shouldn't be housed together. One will bully the other far too much (one dominate and one docile). You need at least four (i'd have 6) to create a sucessful sorority. This way the agression levels out. There are several threads about creating a sucessful sorority, and they will explain in great detail.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #7 
Beth

Maybe I'm crazy , but I just don't see where a sorority is any harder than a cichlid tank. In fact I think a sorority is easier. I have extra tanks, but if I didn't there's no way that I could put any of my other fish into a gallon of water with no filter and no heat for as long as it would take to cycle a new one if I had no media for a quick start. To me that makes having to seperate bettas so easy.

And mean? Try a pair of my cichlids when it's egg laying time. Rotten fish. Having several to spread out the agression is true for so many tanks. I know that bettas don't get lonely and males and females only get housed together for breeding. I don't want baby anything here. So, in a pinch I can remove one of the girls and put her in a 10gal. all to her little self and not worry about having a filter or heater just yet. I do have a filter but I don't like it and would get another one. I don't need a heater just yet.

Thanks, Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitic10 View Post
As a general rule, bettas should not be kept with other bettas. They do not get lonely, and are fine without tank mates. Sororities, often fail and are only for the advanced Betta hobbyist. Sororities should consist of at least five females, lots of hiding places and no males. Never should male bettas be housed with females, or other males.

Females together in a tank are called sororities. Two females can lead to one or both getting seriously injured. Bettas are aggressive, when females are kept together, one is the boss, the rest are submissive. If there are only two, the submissive one will be picked on.