Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #21 
MistersMom

Bettas are just mean fish...
poor things...
why haven't people started selective breeding with them yet???
speaking of selective breeding, they had selectively breed foxes. *Random fact*
is IME in my experience???!!!
and i get where your comin from cuz my 3 females tried to tear echpther up, but then i seperated them, its not a good idea if 1 is bigger then the next is a tad smaller than the last is small. they chase that imparticular 1 and don't seem to stop... till i seperated them.
but maybe it worked for her you never know...
no 2 fish are alike...
i did not try t be snippy or defensive Youlovegnats... i am sorry. i was just stateing that if they hadn't mentioned anything going horribly wtong than maybe nothing had gone wrong...

Last edited by MistersMom; 10-10-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #22 
GreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
poor things...
and i get where your comin from cuz my 3 females tried to tear echpther up, but then i seperated them, its not a good idea if 1 is bigger then the next is a tad smaller than the last is small. they chase that imparticular 1 and don't seem to stop... till i seperated them.
no 2 fish are alike...
i did not try t be snippy or defensive Youlovegnats... i am sorry. i was just stateing that if they hadn't mentioned anything going horribly wtong than maybe nothing had gone wrong...

Yes IME is in my experience. The minimum number of females you should have is 4, for exactly the reason you posted. 2 will gang up on the other one, and then there's two left, and that doesn't go well either..

Also bettas are not "mean." They are naturally territorial fish who would "fight" others in the wild for territory in a larger communal space. They have been selectively bred...to fight, and to look pretty. It would be a sad day if bettas stopped flaring and having the energy that they do. There are lots of tropical communal fish, it doesn't make the betta bad or mean for not being one of them.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #23 
youlovegnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
poor things...
no 2 fish are alike...
Ah, kk. Sorry I got a little defensive there. :)
It's true that the foxes have been selectively bred to basically turn them into dogs, but notice how their anatomy also changes? Their tails get shorter and their bodies get stouter. I think flaring is what makes a betta, well...a betta! If we started to breed out their aggressiveness, who knows how they'll turn out in 20-30 years. Their caudal fins could be 50% shorter...or perhaps their dorsal gets shorter, who knows. But I like the fish for how they currently look and act, and once used to their owners you always get a glimpse of their personality, which some fish rather lack...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #24 
MistersMom

your both right, i just wish that i could have 1 tanks with a bunch of these pretty fish without haveing to seperate them,they are just so pretty!...
and he fox thing, thst is exactly what the magazine said!!! lol.. shorter tails ect.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #25 
GreenTea

Yeah I get that :) That's why I started a sorority!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #26 
betaguy

mistermoms... when did you try to make a sorority?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #27 
betta lover1507

am sorry i put two females, and had nothing to do with selling a pair, am just saying that they just stopped fighting, they fought with the next one i put in not each other (am just saying by memory because those two females died by fungus)
Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #28 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
mistermoms... when did you try to make a sorority?

when i first joined this, must i tell everybody everything lol. jk. i wanted to get a fourth but my 2 females died. idk how. but i scrubbed tht bowl with hot water!!!!! so my last 1 wuldnt die.... they died from meds i thnk, my sisters friend put quick cure in there because their fin coloration made her think they were ill, they werent it was a sad day... but thts in the past, dont scould me about it!! lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #29 
betaguy

k...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #30 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
k...

Thank yewwww!!!!!!!! lol.
Closed Thread