Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #2571 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
Is this good for my betta w/ suspected popeye?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Some use it, and it's listed as one of the options (unsure about the "plus" part though)

For popeye;
Treatment: Usually not fatal if treated, but your betta might lose an eye. Conservative: If the swelling is extreme then use ES first. Perform 100% daily water changes. You may be able to treat the popeye with just Epsom and clean water. However, if the swelling goes down but the eyes remain cloudy/white, then switch to Aq.Salt at 1tsp/gal or use medications. Do not combine Aq.Salt with medications but you can continue to use ES during medical treatments. Medication: If ES or Aq.Salt do not do the trick or it is a serious case of popeye, then combine the ES with API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API General Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardelís Maracyn
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #2572 
Leeniex

Should epsom salt be 1 tsp/gallon?
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #2573 
Myates

If you are absolutely sure he has popeye, then I would suggest 1tsp of ES/gal and follow the ritual of 100% water change daily for 10 days.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #2574 
PaintedOaksOki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
As mentioned in your sorority thread "If you read the sticky then that is the best info.. 10g+, 4-6 females in a 10 gal. 4 being the very minimum in any tank. You will want very dense planting (real or fake) especially in the middle and upper part of the tank. So tall tall tall plants are a must. And not just at the back of the tank, needs to be dense so back to almost front. You want to have to really look and search for them when looking at the tank. A few hiding places such as a cave or cup are good for those females that prefer them (some will use, some won't.. mine couldn't care less, but my males loves them).
A sorority is always very very delicate and very easily can turn into a disaster. Even the most established of tanks, the best of breeders/keepers will have trouble. Always keep spare tanks (1+ gallons) handy for those girls who decide they don't want to be around others and you will have to keep them separate. You should put them all in at the same time, or in groups of 3 (for a 10 gal, put 3 in, then add in another 2, and etc for larger tanks) otherwise the one or two will establish territory of all the tank and any new ones in will be harassed.
Well, they will all harass each other for a while.. then they *may* settle down.. but at any time something can flare up and you may end up with hurt girls.

So if you are absolutely sure you are ready for it, and are able to house each one separately if needed, then a 10 gal should be minimum and 4-6 girls are required."

That is the basic.. it's not physically hard to set up, and it's not completely up to you whether it thrives.. you play a part in it in making sure the set up is right.. other then that, it's up to the girls and their personalities and temperament.
I wish you luck, keep us updated on it when you start it :D
Thanks! I will probably get a few girls maybe 5 and a 10gal tank! =)
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #2575 
Myates

Share pics when you do! =) Wish you all the luck and I'm sure you'll do fine with them!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #2576 
PaintedOaksOki

I will! I will make a thread! I saw these female bettas at Petsmart, my jaw dropped, the one had fin rot, and all the others looked half dead!!
Then my dad and I went to Petland (a Canadian chain store!) And there were female bettas in a tank, and I wanted to take all 6 home with me!!
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #2577 
hmckin20

hey guys- do i need to do a 100% water change on a 20g with two 10g sponge filters and a 5g pump?
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #2578 
Micho

Er no. You should never do 100% change, never ever. If you're cycled which I'm guessing you are, anything over 50% water change might have a chance to crash your cycle.

You should do 25% per week but really it's up to your stocking, what do you have in there right now?
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #2579 
erinandares

How big of a tank do you think I could get away with in a second level apartment? Because I found a guy selling a twenty gallon with all the supplies for only a few dollars more than buying a brand new ten and all the supplies would be. Wondering if it will be a worthy risk.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 AM   #2580 
Myates

I think it's worth it.. I had 30gals+ in a 3rd story apt when I first moved out of my parent's house (too many years to count!). It may be a lil pain getting it up, but it isn't too heavy for a second story. Just make sure the floor is even if you use a stand.