Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #1 
Silver Spar

Troubles with a rescued Betta

And I mean rescued in the true sense - his owner was going to flush him down the toilet

I've had Arthur for about three weeks now. His previous owner had been keeping him in a very poor community tank with very little cover, a broken filter and no maintenance (the gravel was filthy and the glass covered in algae). The owner had decided that fish-keeping wasn't for him, had sold the tank, and was planning to flush all the inhabitants down the toilet.

Arthur had been sharing space with a golden Gourami, three red-tailed sharks and a couple of others, and was sporting a few injuries from the situation.

One of his gills is permenantly in a flaring position, and the rays on his fins, while apparently intact, are badly mangled and very tatty. Despite this, when I put him in a tank on his own, whe seemed quite healthy and lively.

That's all changed. For roughly the last week, he's seemed very lethargic, and just recently has taken to spending all his time resting on top of the heater.

I've raised the temperature to 82 degrees, and have been treating the water with IAL extract, making daily 50% water changes. Given that he's about twice the size of my own bettas, I realise that it's a possibility that it's simply old age, or that he's succumbing to his injuries, but I need to know if there's anything else I can try?

If it's simply his time, then at least I know that he's had a peaceful last couple of weeks, but I don't want to give up if there's something I can do to help him.
Silver Spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #2 
GreenTea

Hey SS, to me it sounds like you are doing what you can..Does he have a spot to rest other than that? He could just be adjusting to his new home life...

Poor guy, kept with the sharks and everything :( That is a bad arrangement for everyone. I'm glad he can at least have some time to relax while he's with you, even if he's going to go.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #3 
Laki

oh my. Thanks for rescuing the little guy. I think you're doing all you can and hopefully if he passes he will have done so in a nice clean tank with someone who loved him. I wonder if aq salt would just stop bacteria growth and therefore infection. What happened to the other fish? Gold gourami's are nice :)

Don't beat yourself up for the condition of the poor guys. It's not your fault. But you stepped in and saved them. Bless you :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

Try Aquarium salt treatment. Aquarium salt has antibacterial/fungul effect.
Aquarium salt for injuries,wounds,fin damage/rot,external parasite.

Put him in smaller container so it will be easier for you to change the water. Use 1tsp/gall with 100% daily water changes for 10 days only. You can increase dose up to 3tsp/gall. So try to do 1tsp/gall for a few days and give the forum update so we can decide if you need to increase the dose.
Pre mix aquarium salt in 1 gall jug to make correct daily dosage. You can use gall from the spring water or from the milk. Just make sure you rinse gall from the milk . Just rinse with water no soap of course.
Good luck give us update:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #5 
Silver Spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
oh my. Thanks for rescuing the little guy. I think you're doing all you can and hopefully if he passes he will have done so in a nice clean tank with someone who loved him. I wonder if aq salt would just stop bacteria growth and therefore infection. What happened to the other fish? Gold gourami's are nice :)

Don't beat yourself up for the condition of the poor guys. It's not your fault. But you stepped in and saved them. Bless you :)
Thank-you.

The other fish are all fine too. The Gourami is currently sharing a 12gal division with ONE of the sharks and an algae eater, a largeish plec is currently homed in my 20gal sorority, and the other two sharks have a 20gal to themselves.

of the seven I rescued, I've found homes for 4 of them - a friend's mother is taking the plec (her own one just died), and the nearest LFS will be taking two of the sharks and the other algae eater (which will supposedly become too big and aggressive for the space I have available for him.)

Arthur will be staying for the rest of his life, however long that will be (at least partly because my fiance has taken quite a shine to hime, much more so than the rest of my fish), I hope to set up a smallish community for the gourami, and the remaining shark is intended to go in with my sorority/community tank when I get things re-arranged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Try Aquarium salt treatment. Aquarium salt has antibacterial/fungul effect.
Aquarium salt for injuries,wounds,fin damage/rot,external parasite.

Put him in smaller container so it will be easier for you to change the water. Use 1tsp/gall with 100% daily water changes for 10 days only. You can increase dose up to 3tsp/gall. So try to do 1tsp/gall for a few days and give the forum update so we can decide if you need to increase the dose.
Pre mix aquarium salt in 1 gall jug to make correct daily dosage. You can use gall from the spring water or from the milk. Just make sure you rinse gall from the milk . Just rinse with water no soap of course.
Good luck give us update:)
When he first arrived, the only space I had available was half of my hospital tank where I have a blue VT recovering from fin-rot (which is another story entirely). For the first week, he was treated with aquarium salt and a general anti-bacterial medication. I'm not sure starting him on that again so soon would be a good idea, but like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

One thing I was wondering - is it possible it's down to boredom? Coming from a large community tank to a (roughly) 3 gal division that he's alone in, is it possible he's simply missing the company? I have another division that houses some white cloud minnows and another male VT in a jar - I could move the jarred VT to the hospital tank and release Arthur in with the minnows if that would help?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I'm pretty sure the white clouds like cooler temps, don't think they would be too happy, the clouds either over heated or your new boy chilly. Originally I was looking at clouds until I realized they have completely different temp requirements.

I believe the sharks are too aggressive for any bettas, male or female. Of course I could be mistaken.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 AM   #7 
Silver Spar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I'm pretty sure the white clouds like cooler temps, don't think they would be too happy, the clouds either over heated or your new boy chilly. Originally I was looking at clouds until I realized they have completely different temp requirements.

I believe the sharks are too aggressive for any bettas, male or female. Of course I could be mistaken.
Dammit - I normally check stuff like that carefully as well. I'm going to have to move the minnows, as they're already in the betta tank

As for the shark, I had hoped be OK with the girls, but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk it.

Slight update as well - Arthur seems to be free-swimming this morning - very sluggishly, but he is moving about. Seems a little clamped tho.