Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #2581 
erinandares

Thanks. (: Also, in a divided tank, since all the bettas are going to look different, as long as the gravel covers the bottom of the dividers, can I use different colors to compliment their coloring? Bc I'm really odd like that and the thought occurred to me. And now far above the water should the divider stick out so they don't think they can jump over it?
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2582 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Er no. You should never do 100% change, never ever. If you're cycled which I'm guessing you are, anything over 50% water change might have a chance to crash your cycle.

You should do 25% per week but really it's up to your stocking, what do you have in there right now?

I'm not cycled, and some other people have told me to do a 100% every two weeks.
I was wondering cause I have -no- idea if a 5g pump is efficient enough.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #2583 
titusthebetta

I have a question about partial water changing. I've unplugged my filter and heater and removed some water, and I have a separate container filled with the water that I'm using to replace what I took out. I'm afraid to pour it in, even though I conditioned the water in the container. Is it easier to do partial changes with my betta in or should I take him out? Is there anything else I should know about partial changes?
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #2584 
Sea Turtles

I think i already know the answer to this, but 10gal is too small for 6 female bettas right? I'd love a sorority, but i don't think I've got the space right now :(
Sea Turtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #2585 
betaguy

some people have betta sororites of 4 in 10 gallons.

My question: how do you know of your fish has fin rot or the black around the edges are part of his coloration.
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #2586 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandares View Post
Thanks. (: Also, in a divided tank, since all the bettas are going to look different, as long as the gravel covers the bottom of the dividers, can I use different colors to compliment their coloring? Bc I'm really odd like that and the thought occurred to me. And now far above the water should the divider stick out so they don't think they can jump over it?
Yes! It is perfectly fine and fun to use different substrate/coloring in each section. I would say 2-3 inches is fine.. you could also use aquarium sealant and make each divider look like a T (about an inch or two sticking out from the side) to prevent jumping, and still keep the water at least an inch lower if you do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusthebetta View Post
I have a question about partial water changing. I've unplugged my filter and heater and removed some water, and I have a separate container filled with the water that I'm using to replace what I took out. I'm afraid to pour it in, even though I conditioned the water in the container. Is it easier to do partial changes with my betta in or should I take him out? Is there anything else I should know about partial changes?
If you have a filter going and your tank has cycled, you don't want to do 100% water changes. You will lose any good bacteria that has grown in the filter, and if not cleaned properly, and the dead/rotten bacteria will be pushed out into the tank when you turn it back on. For filtered it is always best to do partial changes of 50% or less per week depending on size of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
My question: how do you know of your fish has fin rot or the black around the edges are part of his coloration.
If the black is shredding/flaking/crumbling then it is rot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Turtles View Post
I think i already know the answer to this, but 10gal is too small for 6 female bettas right? I'd love a sorority, but i don't think I've got the space right now :(
I would say 5-6 is fine in a 10 gallon, as long as you don't have any other fish in there. For filtered/cycle I would recommend weekly 25-30% water changes with full dose of conditioner each time and you should be fine. Just make sure to keep a spare tank or two in case someone doesn't like the others.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #2587 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckin20 View Post
I'm not cycled, and some other people have told me to do a 100% every two weeks.
I was wondering cause I have -no- idea if a 5g pump is efficient enough.
Evne if you're not cycled you still don't want to get rid of the entire beneficial bacteria in your tank, so I still wouldn't recommend it. When you say 5g pump I'm guessing a 5 gallon filter, you can try and upgrade to something bigger, always double the filter capacity if you can. So grab a 10g filter if you can, it'll help you a lot.

With your water change schedules I would recommend 25% with vacuum and 25% just pure water change every week and that should be enough. :]
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #2588 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Evne if you're not cycled you still don't want to get rid of the entire beneficial bacteria in your tank, so I still wouldn't recommend it. When you say 5g pump I'm guessing a 5 gallon filter, you can try and upgrade to something bigger, always double the filter capacity if you can. So grab a 10g filter if you can, it'll help you a lot.

With your water change schedules I would recommend 25% with vacuum and 25% just pure water change every week and that should be enough. :]
ohh, okay, awesome :D i wasn't looking forward to a 100% on a 20g. D
no, i have a 5g air pump and two 10g sponge filters, split by a gang valve.

thanks for the info :)
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #2589 
betaguy

if i want to do a 50% water change how do i do it?
i have a gal of water in a container room temp. just take 50% out and add 50% of room temp?
will the temp spike be ok?
betaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #2590 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmckin20 View Post
ohh, okay, awesome :D i wasn't looking forward to a 100% on a 20g. D
no, i have a 5g air pump and two 10g sponge filters, split by a gang valve.

thanks for the info :)
Oh seeing how you have a 20g now, you won't need to do that much! Probably 25% per week with gravel vacuum would do just fine for you to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
if i want to do a 50% water change how do i do it?
i have a gal of water in a container room temp. just take 50% out and add 50% of room temp?
will the temp spike be ok?

Take out your fish first and put him in a cup with his old water, take out 50% pour in the gallon of conditioned water, wait for awhile and then net your fish and put him into his tank, generally you want to do a water change with your new water being the same temperature as your current tank water so your fish doesn't get into shock by the temperature.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote